Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Acts of Kindness, or God?

Re: Random Acts of Kindness, or God?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Well that's boring.
    I get that you're playing peace keeper here WIC, but I'm absolutely fine. If Joe wants to stop poncing about and get back into the supernatural convo - I'm up for it.

I see you're big on NDE's. Me too. I think the most famous case is Pam Reynolds where her heartbeat was stopped, and her body temperature lowered, so they could perform the operation without her cells breaking down quickly. She was clinically dead yet was able to recall everything as she was watching it while it happened; while dead.

NDE's helped me accept death when my Dad died. I believed they were real long before then.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Have any of you read the book Contact by Carl Sagan?
    I haven't. There's a film, but I think I'll check the book out. I love a good novel.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Yes, you all should read it. It is extremely relevant to this discussion. The film isn't bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Narnia hasn’t been proven to exist, maybe that means it might exist? It makes no logical sense.
    Narnia might not exist??

Yes, you all should read it. It is extremely relevant to this discussion. The film isn't bad either.
    Just read wikipedia about it Vee. That's my kind of film and book. I've always been fascinated by the wormhole theory, that time and space can be 'bent' by gravity so that vast distances are reduced to 'nipping next door'. Einstein proved (or theorised) that light is bent by gravity when a star on the other side of the sun was visible from Earth when it shouldn't have been. The Sun's gravitational field was bending that star's light. I've typed that from memory, Gary will probably be along later to pull it apart.

Have any of you read the book Contact by Carl Sagan?
    Yes. My favourite Sagan book, however, is “a demon haunted world”. I read it when I was around 15 and it utterly changed the way I view the world. I would encourage anyone to read that book, it’s jaw dropping and humbling all at the same time.

If you get a chance, watch the series “cosmos” presented by Sagan. A true ambassador for science, logic and reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Yes. My favourite Sagan book, however, is “a demon haunted world”. I read it when I was around 15 and it utterly changed the way I view the world. I would encourage anyone to read that book, it’s jaw dropping and humbling all at the same time.

If you get a chance, watch the series “cosmos” presented by Sagan. A true ambassador for science, logic and reason.
    Yes he was Gary. But he also knew that there are things that exist which we can't see and have no empirical evidence for yet. It's that dichotomy which I truly appreciate.

Yes he was Gary. But he also knew that there are things that exist which we can't see and have no empirical evidence for yet. It's that dichotomy which I truly appreciate.
    If I thought that the only things that existed were things that had only been discovered then I would be utterly undermining science.

Remember, just because I’m saying there’s no evidence of something doesn’t mean I’m categorically stating it doesn’t exist. People around here would do well to learn the difference.

Good film. I haven't seen it for years so can't remember much of it. Some similarities to the film, Interstellar?

I've read some books with similar themes such as Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds and Proxima by Stephen Baxter. Not the same as Contact but both feature wormhole and split reality themes.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Just read wikipedia about it Vee. That's my kind of film and book. I've always been fascinated by the wormhole theory, that time and space can be 'bent' by gravity so that vast distances are reduced to 'nipping next door'. Einstein proved (or theorised) that light is bent by gravity when a star on the other side of the sun was visible from Earth when it shouldn't have been. The Sun's gravitational field was bending that star's light. I've typed that from memory, Gary will probably be along later to pull it apart.
    You would like the book Proxima, Fishman. That theme runs through it but I won't spoil how. I've still got the follow up to read. I would say Baxter, for me, is an author that doesn't always explain things but they are good reads (I've read several he co wrote with the late great Terry Pratchett). I felt Pratchett was held back compared to his Discworld series but his influences were very obvious. Worth a read though (The Long Earth et all) and even includes a schematic to build your own 'jumping' device (to travel between different earth realities) with the most important component being a potato.

Pushing Ice is more interstellar travel through the slipstream of a much more unknown and advanced alien technology.

One book I have read by Alastair Reynolds is very good, Terminal World. More a sort of old advanced world leaves remnants behind with the story set in future generations who no longer understand how they got what they have.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 05-12-20 at 04:44.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information