Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Acts of Kindness, or God?

Re: Random Acts of Kindness, or God?

Another way of looking at meditation is a training to find the gap between stimulus and learned response. Something happens, we see something or feel something that our brains find familiar. It's normal for people to respond out of habit, because our subconscious reacts to it before our conscious mind can even process the event. Meditation attaches a 'pause' to that subconscious reactions and allows the conscious to get involved. This is one of the reasons it's so powerful in combating anxiety, given enough practice and acceptance of the now.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    You hit the nail on the head there Nora.
    The most recent time where I felt 'plugged in' was standing standing on a carpark in Exmoor. I got out of the car, looked up, and found it hard to breathe. THE STARS!!! I was still standing there long after my husband and son had got back into the car on account of it being freezing! Like an idiot, I tried to take a picture of the sky on my phone, but of course it didn't have the technology to capture what I could see. It's in my head though. So many stars and the overwhelming feeling that I am part of something so BIG I couldn't possibly comprehend it with the 10% of the brain that we only use.

Do you meditate?
    I do visualisation mediation (guided imagery) I'm a very visual person so this mediation works for me. It takes me to my happy place - which is generally a beach in North Wales. I was there the other day and I met my deceased mum and dad and two of my dogs. Or I go to the home I was born in or the house that my mother died in, but was also my home for 7 years. I go to my deceased nan's house too and I can smell the roses in the garden and the coal fire. Jim Reeves on the record deck and the smell of damp that comes with a house that isn't centrally heated which wasn't unpleasant to me..

Sometimes, when my mind is busy, I visualise standing under a waterfall and it's washing away the negativity.

For some bizarre reason, I start off as me with my visualisations, but end up poncing about in a white dress as I go deeper into them. I don't wear dresses!

Stands to reason that I can visualise all sorts of scary crap, so I figured I'd use my ability to visualise positive stuff. Also, I naturally did this as a young child - before school messed with my head.

I was reading the Qur'an today. In the second part (The Cow) verse 62 says:

Those who believe (The Qur'an) and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures) and the Christians ans the Sabains - any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
    This seems to say that any who follow Allah (which means God) will have their reward with their Lord. To me this reads as "Whether you're Muslim, Jewish, Christian or Sabain you will go to heaven?".

I'm not sure if it means that. Will have to look into it. Interesting. Link here to the verse with different English translations: https://quran.com/2/62?translations=...5,21,22,95,101

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

OK I got that wrong. The verse is referring to the times before Muhammad. Those that lived righteously before Muhammad and Islam.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Try not to read religious texts too literally. They've had thousands of years of editing, interpretation and bias baked into them.

I often revisit my happy places mentally..I wouldn't call it guided imagery, just recalling memories of better times.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I often revisit my happy places mentally..
    That's what I do! Except mine are more than memories. I use that imagination that I'm not supposed to have...

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Try not to read religious texts too literally. They've had thousands of years of editing, interpretation and bias baked into them.
    I believe the Qur'an is the unaltered word of God. I believe that with my heart and I believe Allah to be God of creation and the Universe.

I'll take a verse from one of my raps ...

If the majority are religious, does that make the minority correct or idiots?

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I believe the Qur'an is the unaltered word of God. I believe that with my heart and I believe Allah to be God of creation and the Universe.

I'll take a verse from one of my raps ...

If the majority are religious, does that make the minority correct or idiots?

4 years ago, the majority voted in Trump.

I don't believe in God, I'm starting to believe in 'The Field'.

God is an interpretation of what science currently cannot describe.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    That's what I do! Except mine are more than memories. I use that imagination that I'm not supposed to have...
    Oh yes..Don't tell anyone about that! They'll have to rewrite the manuals and that will send the experts into a flap!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information