Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamsters are so cool.

Hamsters are so cool.

My son got one. We've had to have the hamster in our room because the cat knocks his cage over when he's left alone. For some reason the cat don't mess about in our room.

Every night the hamster comes out at half past nine. He sits on a log waiting to come out. I put my hand in with my palm flat and he climbs on waiting for me to lift him out. Then I'll just sit with him for 30 minutes or so. He's cute to observe.

He'll run around on the bed climbing up the blanket mountains. Once he finds a route he sticks to it. You can put him back at any random point on the bed and he'll go the same route. If I move the blankets around he doesn't, and instead tries to find a different route.

The cat has a sniff when he's out. He doesn't act aggressive. He did once and I hissed at him; he's never done it since.

They're cute, funny and a good distraction.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Hamsters are so cool.

I had two rats called Thelma and Louise. Thelma used to snuggle up behind me when I was on the sofa - which was risky as I was pregnant at the time and the size of a whale. Louise used to sit on people's shoulders. (awwww)

All creatures great and small eh?

Speaking of 'small'...

TRIGGER WARNING: SPIDERS!!!!

I have a spider phobia because one got into my nightie when I was about 5 (this also coincided with those awful 70s films with killer bees and spiders) and I had a massive meltdown on the living room carpet..

By some bizarre twist of fate BOTH my husbands have had tarantulas.

I had an overwhelming fear that the buggers would escape from their tanks so I used to weight the tank lids down with books, but I still had regular dreams where they got out and came after me.

Hubs number 2 had FIVE of them when I met him. Some eventually expired of old age, and one poor sod didn't take well to a house move, so it came down to just the one who resided in a tank in our BEDROOM because it was the best option for Thelma and Louise who resided downstairs...

Can you guess where this is going yet?

One morning, I opened my eyes to clock a pair of hairy legs POKING OUT OF THE TANK LID because Hubs obviously hadn't closed it properly the night before, and now he was at work.

I should have dived over to the tank and gently poked it's legs back in and closed the lid, but I'm an initial 'freezer' when it comes to danger and I literally couldn't move, and this was how I remained until I saw that glass lid sliding away...

Within minutes, the buggering thing was doing the Quick Step across the the top of the tank and onto my bookshelves, but the sight of it straddling my Enid Blyton's was enough to spark my brain into action and I went from bed to landing with the door shut and a towel in front of the door in 6 seconds flat!

I had to call a fearless friend to come and locate the spider and 'Steve McQueen' was eventually found under the bed - apparently he was a bugger to find because he was the same colour as the carpet!

I've been in therapy ever since!

Talk about Rats, I was visiting an old friend when I was in Alaska a couple of years ago and her shithouse is outside,I went to get dunny paper to wipe my quoit and I crapped myself again there was a rat sitting on the dunny roll staring at me I am sure it was smiling at me,I took off flying out of the crapper with my duds around my ankles,I looked around and there was a moose so I went back in the crapper screaming like a banshee, I think I scared the crap out of the rat as it took off like a bat out of hell.
    I went back inside the house and b ugger me dead the barsturd was on the kitchen bench. I had a couple of muva’s little helpers for my “nerves”

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Talk about Rats, I was visiting an old friend when I was in Alaska a couple of years ago and her shithouse is outside,I went to get dunny paper to wipe my quoit and I crapped myself again there was a rat sitting on the dunny roll staring at me I am sure it was smiling at me,I took off flying out of the crapper with my duds around my ankles,I looked around and there was a moose so I went back in the crapper screaming like a banshee, I think I scared the crap out of the rat as it took off like a bat out of hell.
    I went back inside the house and b ugger me dead the barsturd was on the kitchen bench. I had a couple of muva’s little helpers for my “nerves”
    Oh my God! I laughed so hard at this a bit of wee came out!

You are very funny!

Omg Nora. I had tarantulas. The wife hated them. I always went for the most aggressive species.

One time I had an OBT arrive. It stands for "Orange Baboon Tarantula", but in the spider community it's nicknamed "Orange Bitey Thing". I wasn't quite prepared for this one.

I opened the little vile it came in. Was the size of a pee pot. I had ordered a baby, so I expected a little thing. As soon as I opened it it's fangs started hitting down on the large tweezers. You could hear it too. It launches straight out into the bath tub. Any time I went near it it would stand in a defensive pose and start striking.

I was sweating at this point. Oddly during these times I have no anxiety.

I managed to cup it, and get it into it's enclosure, but that was possibly one of the scariest things I've done. If it would have bit me I'd have been in a lot of pain for a good while. They're not deadly, but the bite is very painful.

4 weeks later I did it again with an Asian Fawn. But she was much more well behaved.

You just reminded me, I want to get an OBT again now. They are stunning to watch.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

James, you can have some of ours. Not an OBT but definitely a BHB (big hairy b@stard) When it's been mating season we start seeing them come from behind the fireplace and run fast across the carpet. I call them turbo spiders. They don't seem to care there is a huge thing with feet there.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    James, you can have some of ours. Not an OBT but definitely a BHB (big hairy b@stard) When it's been mating season we start seeing them come from behind the fireplace and run fast across the carpet. I call them turbo spiders. They don't seem to care there is a huge thing with feet there.

I will admit house spiders are a bit creepy. It's fun to watch them. You've got a cat? Cat's love eating them. I feel bad for the spiders, but for cat's I'd imagine it's part of their diet.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    BHB (big hairy b@stard)
    Love the name! I've seen a jet black house spider once that was hairy. The kind that hide in the attic. Attic spiders are huge. Those are the ones that can give me a bit of a scare if I see one off guard.
    Last edited by WiredIncorrectly; 18-11-20 at 16:33.

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    A very good reason to get rat-arsed, Lola!

I've never had spiders but have had many hamsters, gerbils and rats over the years. One rat I got given for free (pet shop begged me to take her) was a psycho and one particular bite went right through my finger tip..Cue mega antibiotics and sadly an enforced demise at the vets which involved protective clothing and more than one vet..I called her Prudence.

Fabulous thread!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information