Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hamsters are so cool.

Re: Hamsters are so cool.

My Mum had very severe arachnophobia and has passed it on to my daughter. Only a few weeks ago, it was around midnight and I was reading in bed. Well the bedroom door burst open and there was my daughter (she's 21) sobbing. I honestly thought there had been a tragedy or something, like one of her mates. She was gasping for breath and pointing at her bedroom.

So I looked and there was a huge house spider on her curtains. It was a female by the body size and house spiders are very quick. Anyway I managed to catch it in my spider and moth jug (the moths are for Mrs F), and set it free in the garden. But my daughter is afraid of even small spiders, so this was a worst nightmare. I wouldn't want a spider as a pet though.

But we used to have two European Eagle Owls, the world's biggest owl. I used to feed them white rats (dead) and they would take them so gently, despite their huge talons.

I love hamsters!!! Sooooo cute...esp when they run around the house in those plastic balls!

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    I love hamsters!!! Sooooo cute...esp when they run around the house in those plastic balls!
    Definitely! I had many growing up and we had them with our kids. We also had guinea pigs and rabbits (litterbox trained at that!). They're sweet little creatures for sure

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

My mom let me have all kinds of critters when I was growing up. I had hamsters, hedgehogs, iguanas, guinea pigs - she never would go for snakes though.

now I’m pretty boring. Three dogs is it for me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I had tarantulas. The wife hated them. I always went for the most aggressive species.
    Spiders or wives?

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    My Mum had very severe arachnophobia
    I can honestly say that this was NOT the case with me. My mother used to dispatch spiders with her bare hands. This was a matter of major conflict for me because as much as I feared the sight of them, I also didn't wish them any harm. My dad used to put them outside but Mum used to flush them down the loo. As for Daddy Long Legs...poor buggers had no legs by the time she had hold of them!

My son got one spider and he loves it. And also thinking to have a hamster.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Spiders or wives?

You gave me a good chuckle this morning.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Love the name! I've seen a jet black house spider once that was hairy. The kind that hide in the attic. Attic spiders are huge. Those are the ones that can give me a bit of a scare if I see one off guard.
    Something in me is briefly startled by the really big ones and I usually get all spiders out on my hand. It must be from watching the film, Arachnophobia.

The tiny pin head ones with long spindley legs are nice to watch. They sort of glide as if walking on water.

I will admit house spiders are a bit creepy. It's fun to watch them. You've got a cat? Cat's love eating them. I feel bad for the spiders, but for cat's I'd imagine it's part of their diet.
    Nope, got a dog. He used to eat them but quickly realised you don't get much meat on a spider. So now he sniffs at them and squashes them with his mouth. We just find them squished. He darts after them as they run under the chairs.

The turbo spiders have been known to run over his face when he's asleep on the floor. Probably getting one over on him.

My GF has cats. Her current one doesn't bother with them, as she complains about him, but a previous cat was a real spider hunter. She had one cat that felt the natural hunting urge but just didn't know what to do next. Be would bring a mouse or bird from the garden and drop it at their feet whereby it escaped around the house. I guess it was a cat practical joke.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information