Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wearing a mask at school caused me to have a panic attack

Re: Wearing a mask at school caused me to have a panic attack

Do they allow face shields?

I struggled with the face mask to start with - it triggered my nocturnal panic attacks. I just kept experimenting with different ones until I settled on what that I could tolerate. I also put a few drops of essential oil on them so I'm getting some therapy while I'm wearing them. Lavender to keep me calm and ginger when I feel sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam2021 View Post
    Thank you very much

I saw the support teacher today, she was nice and she said i could maybe be exempt from wearing a mask and have a lanyard, but she encouraged me to try some tips to deal with anxiety, she showed me a few breathing exercises, i didn't have a mask on so its easier to breath without one anyway ha. She also said some of the same things you guys said that the anxiety is not just about masks, that masks may be one trigger but there are other issues like school work and dealing with my mum. She is going to call my mum next week to talk to her about it. She also said she doesn't think i should really be on detention for this but she hasn't the authority to question the head masters decisions. I also started the detentions this week.
    The support teacher sounds very kind and empathetic and if she can get your Mum on board with your anxiety in general and how she could help you by not putting too much pressure on you then this would be a start. She may not know just how much she is contributing to your anxiety and this could be a breakthrough moment. I really hope so. The mask issue has brought it all to the surface in my opinion. At least now there will be communication between home and school and you have the support teacher on your side and helping you.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam2021 View Post
    Thank you very much

I saw the support teacher today, she was nice and she said i could maybe be exempt from wearing a mask and have a lanyard, but she encouraged me to try some tips to deal with anxiety, she showed me a few breathing exercises, i didn't have a mask on so its easier to breath without one anyway ha. She also said some of the same things you guys said that the anxiety is not just about masks, that masks may be one trigger but there are other issues like school work and dealing with my mum. She is going to call my mum next week to talk to her about it. She also said she doesn't think i should really be on detention for this but she hasn't the authority to question the head masters decisions. I also started the detentions this week.
    Well done for taking the first step.

I was going to suggest wearing the masks at home to get used to them if you can. Anxiety aside, they're still a good idea right now. If you can't, no biggie.

Dealing with the underlying anxiety has to be priority I think. It's not hard to find ways to deal with it, it just requires a bit of lateral thinking as the solution is often the opposite of what you think you want to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information