Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

I don't understand why the BBC are bringing up this tired old chestnut once again. Fair enough them opting to censor the word 'faggot' to avoid causing offence to certain individuals, but why do they really need to keep making such a big deal out of it?
    Just censor it or don't censor it, and keep it low-key, rather than make a song and dance over it (no pun intended)!!

Sounds like a bit of a publicity stunt to me, most ironic as today is hardly a slow news day in general.

I personally couldn't care less either way as to whether it's censored or not.

What I do find rather ironic is hardly anyone seems to bat an eyelid over the far stronger (and far more frequent) language in a lot of today's rap music and I would bet anyone a tenner that barely anyone would give so much of a damn if say, Eminem used the word 'faggot' in one of his songs in the same derogatory context.

A. A non-story from Aunty Beeb.

B. Double standards (re the latter paragraph).

Re: BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

/shrugs

Re: BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I don't understand why the BBC are bringing up this tired old chestnut once again. Fair enough them opting to censor the word 'faggot' to avoid causing offence to certain individuals, but why do they really need to keep making such a big deal out of it?
    Just censor it or don't censor it, and keep it low-key, rather than make a song and dance over it (no pun intended)!!

Sounds like a bit of a publicity stunt to me, most ironic as today is hardly a slow news day in general.

I personally couldn't care less either way as to whether it's censored or not.

What I do find rather ironic is hardly anyone seems to bat an eyelid over the far stronger (and far more frequent) language in a lot of today's rap music and I would bet anyone a tenner that barely anyone would give so much of a damn if say, Eminem used the word 'faggot' in one of his songs in the same derogatory context.

A. A non-story from Aunty Beeb.

B. Double standards (re the latter paragraph).
    It's more the usual news outlets and their anti-BBC agenda are making a big song and dance over it.

So, to summarise: the youthful audience of R1 are the most likely to be offended.

The audience of R2 are more likely to say "what's the fuss about, FFS?"

The DJs of 6 Music can exercise their own choice.

See also, original version of Oliver's Army.

The Radio 1 demographic is "outraged" at the drop of a hat.

Do you like Eminem LB you must,you seem to know the lyrics he is tame compared to some hardcore rappers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Do you like Eminem LB you must,you seem to know the lyrics he is tame compared to some hardcore rappers.
    Can't stand him!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    The Radio 1 demographic is "outraged" at the drop of a hat.
    But they listen to drill music without batting as much of an eyelid, complete with all of its extreme profanities uttered multiple times and violent subject matter in general perhaps even including the word 'faggot' and various other 'slurs' in its own right.

But still get indignant over a tame-by-
    comparison festive classic from 87.

Blatant hypocrisy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Like Vinnie Paz, Necro, and Ill Bill?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    But they listen to drill music without batting as much of an eyelid, complete with all of its extreme profanities uttered multiple times and violent subject matter in general perhaps even including the word 'faggot' and various other 'slurs' in its own right.

But still get indignant over a tame-by-
    comparison festive classic from 87.

Blatant hypocrisy IMO.
    I don't hear much homophobia in UK Drill music. If an artist wants to make it mainstream like Stormzy, or Unknown T, then they can't go down that route. But, as you'll see in a moment they'll do any other crimes.

My brother is a UK Drill producer. He makes the beats for a lot of the UK Drill artists. He's not into the UK Drill lifestyle though. He just makes the music. His management deals with everything else.

I will say that UK Drill rappers generally do live the life they speak about. The scene itself is controlled by those that live the life they speak. Any rappers who don't live the life they speak get "jumped", or "caught slipping" (as they call it). They'll attack, stab and kill rappers who lie.

There's a Youtube channel called Ape Huncho. He's a young adult that covers all the events in the UK Drill scene. There's a lot of murders. A lot of rappers doing time for murder, county lines, child exploitation for drug running and dealing, and other criminal activities.

Take Dutchavelli for example. He's mainstream pop now, but he beat a murder case and brags in his music that he lied and got away with it. Another artist called Richie from Malistrip (Brixton) has murders to his name. They brag about their county lines and all sorts. Police often do use their music against them.

I like the beats. I'm not a fan of the rappers.

Here's the Ape Honcho channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnI...9j3WrAGyBUS5OA ... his voice can get a bit annoying but he does cover public cases in great detail.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I don't hear much homophobia in UK Drill music. If an artist wants to make it mainstream like Stormzy, or Unknown T, then they can't go down that route. But, as you'll see in a moment they'll do any other crimes.

My brother is a UK Drill producer. He makes the beats for a lot of the UK Drill artists. He's not into the UK Drill lifestyle though. He just makes the music. His management deals with everything else.

I will say that UK Drill rappers generally do live the life they speak about. The scene itself is controlled by those that live the life they speak. Any rappers who don't live the life they speak get "jumped", or "caught slipping" (as they call it). They'll attack, stab and kill rappers who lie.

There's a Youtube channel called Ape Huncho. He's a young adult that covers all the events in the UK Drill scene. There's a lot of murders. A lot of rappers doing time for murder, county lines, child exploitation for drug running and dealing, and other criminal activities.

Take Dutchavelli for example. He's mainstream pop now, but he beat a murder case and brags in his music that he lied and got away with it. Another artist called Richie from Malistrip (Brixton) has murders to his name. They brag about their county lines and all sorts. Police often do use their music against them.

I like the beats. I'm not a fan of the rappers.

Here's the Ape Honcho channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnI...9j3WrAGyBUS5OA ... his voice can get a bit annoying but he does cover public cases in great detail.
    I personally find all of that far more objectionable than a festive favourite from 33 years ago that utters the name of a Mr Brain's dish just once, which is nothing by comparison.

I don't condone homophobia in any way, but I just can't understand why people get indignant about this song but couldn't care less about a lot of the gangsta-rap music hogging the charts with far more obnoxious attributes by comparison.

I think it's just the BBC/media regurgitating the same old outrage pretty much every Christmas season.

On a similar note, hardly anyone makes such a big deal out of Dire Straits' 1985 hit 'Money For Nothing' whose full-length version on the 'Brothers In Arms' album (and possibly also the 12'' single version) contains a verse with the word 'faggot'. And people still continue to purchase 'BIA' every year without getting into such a frenzy.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information