Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

Re: BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    The smacking ban in Scotland, and the same one to follow suit in Wales some time next year would have been almost unthinkable some 20 years ago.
    I have a memory of being smacked by the teacher in 75 when I started school. I was terrified, overwhelmed, and couldn't speak. I didn't answer when she spoke to me, and when I continued to stay silent when she spoke to me - she smacked me across the bottom and made me stand in the corner. Obviously she interpreted the silence as insolence. I was 5 years old!

Re: BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I have a memory of being smacked by the teacher in 75 when I started school. I was terrified, overwhelmed, and couldn't speak. I didn't answer when she spoke to me, and when I continued to stay silent when she spoke to me - she smacked me across the bottom and made me stand in the corner. Obviously she interpreted the silence as insolence. I was 5 years old!
    Sorry but if I was to witness your teacher doing that to you I would have intervened in ways that would have risked me going to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Sorry but if I was to witness your teacher doing that to you I would have intervened in ways that would have risked me going to jail.
    Nobody batted an eyelid Len. This was 75 and seemingly acceptable behaviour from teachers. I've seen children plonked so hard into a chair that they've gone backwards against a wall. Then of course objects regularly went flying across classrooms aimed at children in high school. I just couldn't understand what I'd done wrong in infants school (mind you - that wasn't unusual) I was a bugger in my teens but generally it was a case of my behaviour being very much misunderstood...

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Nobody batted an eyelid Len. This was 75 and seemingly acceptable behaviour from teachers. I've seen children plonked so hard into a chair that they've gone backwards against a wall. Then of course objects regularly went flying across classrooms aimed at children in high school. I just couldn't understand what I'd done wrong in infants school (mind you - that wasn't unusual) I was a bugger in my teens but generally it was a case of my behaviour being very much misunderstood...
    Ditto here Nora.

Growing up Aspie in the 80s and early 90s myself was the pits, but it sounds like the 70s (and the decades prior) were an absolute horrid time for persons with ASD, period.

Not only being constantly at the mercy of 'spaz-bashing' and the ever-present threat of being 'kidnapped' by the authorities (e.g, being sectioned or taken into care because we weren't 'normal'), but also having to endure all the ciggy smoke that was ubiquitous in virtually all indoor environments, which I feel like I want to puke my guts up even just thinking about it!!

BTW, no offence intended to you if you smoke yourself Nora.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information