Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

Re: BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

I'm a fan of the older music and I'm in total agreement that live bands playing in sync and rocking the stage is 100x better than this modern music.

Onto the homophobia though.

Things were very much different back in the old days (I feel old now!). Racism was huge, and being gay would have been a much more dangerous time to live. In those times it wasn't accepted as it is today by society. The country as a whole was devoutly religious. Christianity and Catholicism was practiced a lot more back then.

It wasn't only the black folk, or gay folk that got a hard time. Hippies were outcast by much of regular society. I know that's not exactly eh same as homophobia, but it shows a time when society was pretty much marching to the BBC drum. The television era.

Slowly that changed. I think it was the soaps in the early 90's that started to have gay characters on their shows. I remember the gay couple in Eastenders. I won't lie, I was disgusted seeing two men kiss back then. Today I'm not. I've learned since then.

There were a lot of people who accept gay relationships today that otherwise wouldn't have in the past.

With that said I don't think such music from the time should be censored, or looked down upload. It's a peice of history. A time when things were different.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

My wife cleans for an old guy who is set in his ways. He's 88 and hates Indians, black people, gay people, mixed raced people, religious people. But, he's ace to speak to. He has a lot of stories from when he lived in South Africa, and was in the war. I don't think a person should be discredited for their views. It's their opinion and one I don't agree with.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    My wife cleans for an old guy who is set in his ways. He's 88 and hates Indians, black people, gay people, mixed raced people, religious people. But, he's ace to speak to. He has a lot of stories from when he lived in South Africa, and was in the war. I don't think a person should be discredited for their views. It's their opinion and one I don't agree with.

Sometimes being a cvnt isn't an opinion, it's just being a cvnt.

^ anal

Looks like someone is making a stereotypical connection

I'm a fan of the older music and I'm in total agreement that live bands playing in sync and rocking the stage is 100x better than this modern music.

Onto the homophobia though.

Things were very much different back in the old days (I feel old now!). Racism was huge, and being gay would have been a much more dangerous time to live. In those times it wasn't accepted as it is today by society. The country as a whole was devoutly religious. Christianity and Catholicism was practiced a lot more back then.

It wasn't only the black folk, or gay folk that got a hard time. Hippies were outcast by much of regular society. I know that's not exactly eh same as homophobia, but it shows a time when society was pretty much marching to the BBC drum. The television era.

Slowly that changed. I think it was the soaps in the early 90's that started to have gay characters on their shows. I remember the gay couple in Eastenders. I won't lie, I was disgusted seeing two men kiss back then. Today I'm not. I've learned since then.

There were a lot of people who accept gay relationships today that otherwise wouldn't have in the past.

With that said I don't think such music from the time should be censored, or looked down upload. It's a piece of history. A time when things were different.
    I think that's partially correct (IMO) because religion wasn't big to my knowledge back then. The CofE was long joked about as the church you just bring a can of fruit to the harvest festival and ignore the rest of the year. Different for Catholics as their church is a lot more demanding.

I think gay relationships were testing societal norms more than religious influence. Just the same with feminism, it was just not the way people grew up and many never set foot in a church. We have moved from a man's world where you can't cry and drink 20 pints a night.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I personally find all of that far more objectionable than a festive favourite from 33 years ago that utters the name of a Mr Brain's dish just once, which is nothing by comparison.

I don't condone homophobia in any way, but I just can't understand why people get indignant about this song but couldn't care less about a lot of the gangsta-rap music hogging the charts with far more obnoxious attributes by comparison.

I think it's just the BBC/media regurgitating the same old outrage pretty much every Christmas season.

On a similar note, hardly anyone makes such a big deal out of Dire Straits' 1985 hit 'Money For Nothing' whose full-length version on the 'Brothers In Arms' album (and possibly also the 12'' single version) contains a verse with the word 'faggot'. And people still continue to purchase 'BIA' every year without getting into such a frenzy.
    There is a very simple fix: the original band declare themselves themselves somewhere on the LGBTQIA+ ever expanding spectrum then they can say it's 'reclaiming' the word and the BBC will be afraid not to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Sometimes being a cvnt isn't an opinion, it's just being a cvnt.
    Aw, now come on, hasn't Jeremy Corbyn had a rough enough week without this?

Isn’t “faggot” some type of meat over there?

Like Vinnie Paz, Necro, and Ill Bill?
    Yep Necro and his bro,I’ll Bill are on my party mix.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Aw, now come on, hasn't Jeremy Corbyn had a rough enough week without this?

Terrence old chap, this is the 21st century right? I'm sick and bloody tired of 'hate' being normalised under the guise of 'opinion'.

If you 'hate' people because they're not the same as you...? No. Humanity needs to grow out of this outdated bullcrap. I don't care if you're 88 or 18.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information