Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

Re: BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Terrence old chap, this is the 21st century right? I'm sick and bloody tired of 'hate' being normalised under the guise of 'opinion'.

If you 'hate' people because they're not the same as you...? No. Humanity needs to grow out of this outdated bullcrap. I don't care if you're 88 or 18.
    I understand your perspective Joe. In my opinion with the older generation it's what they know from when they grew up. My Nan is the same even though my brother is mixed raced - but she loves him a lot. There are a lot of things that are still hard to accept in society. I'm scared to say them in case I get slated. Feminism is one of them. Our generation are going to the be the ones against AI when we're in our 70's, while the younger generation happily consumer their virtual realities.

But I do think if you have an opinion on race, gender, religion or w/e that's negative you should say nothing.

The older generation are WELL AWARE of the saying: If you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all. They were the ones teaching this when I was growing up.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: BBC harping on about censoring 'Fairytale Of New York' for the umpteenth time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Isn’t “faggot” some type of meat over there?
    It has numerous meanings here: the more modern one is a pork dish of Black Country origin, usually served with peas.

An older one is that of a tightly-bound bundle of sticks that sometimes has constructional uses - for example, to stabilise the marshy wetlands at the edge of what was Whittlesea Mere before the Fens were drained, faggots were used in the construction of the Great Northern Railway as it headed south from Yaxley to Holme on its way towards London back in the 1850s.

Terrence old chap, this is the 21st century right? I'm sick and bloody tired of 'hate' being normalised under the guise of 'opinion'.

If you 'hate' people because they're not the same as you...? No. Humanity needs to grow out of this outdated bullcrap. I don't care if you're 88 or 18.
    Hear! Hear!

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I understand your perspective Joe. In my opinion with the older generation it's what they know from when they grew up. My Nan is the same even though my brother is mixed raced - but she loves him a lot. There are a lot of things that are still hard to accept in society. I'm scared to say them in case I get slated. Feminism is one of them. Our generation are going to the be the ones against AI when we're in our 70's, while the younger generation happily consumer their virtual realities.

But I do think if you have an opinion on race, gender, religion or w/e that's negative you should say nothing.

The older generation are WELL AWARE of the saying: If you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all. They were the ones teaching this when I was growing up.
    J, the older generation were brought up with differences just as much as we were.

My Nan was racist, and coincidentally (or not) she was also an *******.

Your explanation was that he 'hated' these people because of their differences, and that's not ok no matter how old you are. Ancient tribalism and scarcity of resources is over. We need to evolve out of this bullshit. The world is only too small because of this divisive political environment we've been living in for decades.

Can we not just start viewing racism and homophobia as a fvcking sickness instead respecting it as an opinion?

Agreed. But I was making a joke about a politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolalee1 View Post
    Isn’t “faggot” some type of meat over there?
    Yep, as Pamplemousse explained. It's Brain's Faggots many will have seen.

I've always wondered about the homophobic slur and whether it's something seen in some regions because it's just never heard around here. There have always been plenty of others used more regularly. I wonder if it's part of American influence because it's a commonly used one over there? (maybe more it's shortened version)

J, the older generation were brought up with differences just as much as we were.

My Nan was racist, and coincidentally (or not) she was also an *******.

Your explanation was that he 'hated' these people because of their differences, and that's not ok no matter how old you are. Ancient tribalism and scarcity of resources is over. We need to evolve out of this bullshit. The world is only too small because of this divisive political environment we've been living in for decades.

Can we not just start viewing racism and homophobia as a fvcking sickness instead respecting it as an opinion?
    I agree it's disgusting in any form.

The world is only too small because of this divisive political environment we've been living in for decades.
    Nail on the head

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

For @Lolalee1, a recipe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/t...h_faggot_22530

The above is a more traditional recipe, the offal content is much reduced now.

The well-known shop one; https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...brains-4s-439g

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I'm a fan of the older music and I'm in total agreement that live bands playing in sync and rocking the stage is 100x better than this modern music.

Onto the homophobia though.

Things were very much different back in the old days (I feel old now!). Racism was huge, and being gay would have been a much more dangerous time to live. In those times it wasn't accepted as it is today by society. The country as a whole was devoutly religious. Christianity and Catholicism was practiced a lot more back then.

It wasn't only the black folk, or gay folk that got a hard time. Hippies were outcast by much of regular society. I know that's not exactly eh same as homophobia, but it shows a time when society was pretty much marching to the BBC drum. The television era.

Slowly that changed. I think it was the soaps in the early 90's that started to have gay characters on their shows. I remember the gay couple in Eastenders. I won't lie, I was disgusted seeing two men kiss back then. Today I'm not. I've learned since then.

There were a lot of people who accept gay relationships today that otherwise wouldn't have in the past.

With that said I don't think such music from the time should be censored, or looked down upload. It's a peice of history. A time when things were different.
    You forgot to mention us Aspies and people with disabilities in general were often treated like crap and outcasts of society, which gradually (and thankfully) started to lessen from the early 90s onwards.

'Spaz-bashing' used to be quite commonplace up until the first half of the 90s, and we often had to learn to act 'normal' whilst out in public and if we ended up on the receiving end of a good kicking and name-calling for not behaving 'normally' we were often told that we probably 'asked for it', and the cruel bullying barstewards who picked on us usually got off scot-free!

The charity 'The Spastics Society' changed its name to 'Scope' back in the early 90s (I think). And quite rightly so!!

Whilst on a similar topic, I wonder how the Oasis song 'Cigarettes And Alcohol' would be received if released as a brand new single today?

I seem to recall in the run-up to the festive season back in 1996, just over a year after their mega-blockbusting 'Morning Glory' album, they released two CD box sets with each containing all of the CD singles from each of their first two albums, and the outer packaging of each set was a parody of B&H cigarette packets, one was silver and the other gold.

That would be virtually unthinkable nowadays, but also of course, CDs are mostly considered old hat and uncool to the yoof of today!

Back then in 96 I seem to recall smoking almost being de-rigueur amongst many teenagers, and barely anyone seemed to bat an eyelid at the time.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information