Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it normal that a 15 year old hates television?

Is it normal that a 15 year old hates television?

Hi everyone, i thought i'll make a post about this here. I am 15 and i do not watch any television, i do not like it. My mum and my sisters love the telly, they watch EastEnders, Corrie street, Emmerdale, i'm a celeb, Britain's got talent and i don't know what else but a bunch of stuff. Well i just leave the room and i go and sit in my bedroom at night, we sit at the dinner table for a meal and i sit with my mum and sisters for an hour every evening to talk and then as soon as she puts the television on the three of them sit glued to the telly and i am bored and i have to go out the room. i do admit at the weekends i can spend too much time on my PlayStation and sometimes i spend too much time online but i totally don't get what people like about EastEnders or corrie street or the reality shows, i find them all boring.

Am i weird? ha

Re: Is it normal that a 15 year old hates television?

You don't have to watch TV if you don't want to.

I don't understand people who spend hours and hours playing games like you do so it is swings and roundabouts.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Liam2021 View Post
    Hi everyone, i thought i'll make a post about this here. I am 15 and i do not watch any television, i do not like it. My mum and my sisters love the telly, they watch EastEnders, Corrie street, Emmerdale, i'm a celeb, Britain's got talent and i don't know what else but a bunch of stuff. Well i just leave the room and i go and sit in my bedroom at night, we sit at the dinner table for a meal and i sit with my mum and sisters for an hour every evening to talk and then as soon as she puts the television on the three of them sit glued to the telly and i am bored and i have to go out the room. i do admit at the weekends i can spend too much time on my PlayStation and sometimes i spend too much time online but i totally don't get what people like about EastEnders or corrie street or the reality shows, i find them all boring.

Am i weird? ha
    Welcome

I think it's awesome that you don't like television. I dislike it too. Playing games is cool. I play CS:GO and a game called Prison Architect when I have some spare time. Watching television and playing a lot of games is similar though. Both will cause you to stare at a screen

Do you like to read?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by Liam2021 View Post

Am i weird? ha
    No, you're certainly not weird.

When I was your age back in the early 90s I was very much the same as you as I gave a lot of stuff on the box a wide berth simply because it didn't appeal to me and I was told I was boring and ridiculed because I used to sit in my room a lot listening to music, reading, drawing, etc, and failed to 'fit in' with the rest of the household, plus also my peers at school.

You are yourself and you don't have to ritualistically watch EastEnders, Corrie, Emmerdale, BGT, I'm A Celeb, etc in order to keep up with the Jones's.

Even today at the age of 43, many of those old chestnuts on the box still bore me to tears, but each to one's own if feeling compelled to watch every single episode religiously, which I personally wouldn't be seen dead doing!!

At least you sit down together as a family for meals, etc, which is really nice.

Nope. You're not weird at all, Liam.

When I was your age, I spent the vast majority of my time in my room alone, either reading, listening to music or watching videos (back in the old days when they HAD videos) I never watched TV much at all.

I am now 49 years old and even now, I NEVER watch TV. Most of it is rubbish anyway - just a load of reality TV nonsense or depressing drama programmes. I must admit that I do like EastEnders, Corrie and Neighbours (yes....sad I know ) but I only watch them online on the channel websites. Other than those three shows, I find stuff on Youtube to watch, or play a lot of games on my tablet. My TV just sits collecting dust at the moment!

My family are like yours. My parents and sister just love their TV and watch everything under the sun - Strictly (which I LOATHE), all the police drama shows/historical dramas and get really enthusiastic about it all. I don't get it at all, but hey, everyone is different.

Don't worry at all. We all like doing our own thing and if you are not a big TV fan, it is no big deal. You like what you like and that is perfectly ok!

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    Nope. You're not weird at all, Liam.

When I was your age, I spent the vast majority of my time in my room alone, either reading, listening to music or watching videos (back in the old days when they HAD videos) I never watched TV much at all.

I am now 49 years old and even now, I NEVER watch TV. Most of it is rubbish anyway - just a load of reality TV nonsense or depressing drama programmes. I must admit that I do like EastEnders, Corrie and Neighbours (yes....sad I know ) but I only watch them online on the channel websites. Other than those three shows, I find stuff on Youtube to watch, or play a lot of games on my tablet. My TV just sits collecting dust at the moment!

My family are like yours. My parents and sister just love their TV and watch everything under the sun - Strictly (which I LOATHE), all the police drama shows/historical dramas and get really enthusiastic about it all. I don't get it at all, but hey, everyone is different.

Don't worry at all. We all like doing our own thing and if you are not a big TV fan, it is no big deal. You like what you like and that is perfectly ok!
    Has the X-Factor been cancelled this year due to Covid?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Due to "it's past its sell-by date" more like?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Due to "it's past its sell-by date" more like?
    Inclined to agree with you there Pulisa, especially as the last time its winner had a Christmas #1 was in 2014, and the show was seemingly already a pale shadow of its former self by then.

The XF should have been given the heave-ho in 2016 or 2017 IMO, especially given the winner of the 2015 season was the first in several years not to have the festive #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Fingers crossed.
    I think it's now naturally exhausted itself anyway. Also very few new-release singles are available in hard copy formats (CD and vinyl) nowadays anyway.

I read somewhere online last night that XF was already cancelled (at least) for 2020 back in February, just before Covid really started to explode in this country, but I dare say that Covid would have no doubt put the final spanner in the works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information