Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Schema therapy

Re: Schema therapy

Hello, long overdue check-in. I'm still going with the schema therapy and it's helping me a lot. One of the biggest ways it's helped is recognising my negative mindset and the role that plays in me expecting the worst in every situation. I now keep a diary of all the things I think will happen and then revisit it every month to see how many actually did.

Case in point with the COVID vaccine. The only one available to me is AstraZeneca and despite the stats being really small for a serious blood clot, I'm finding it really hard to make myself go and get the shot because I'm convinced I'll be the 4 in 100,000 or whatever the number is. I'm still holding out hope I might be able to get Pfizer or Moderna later in the year. Here in Aus people 50 and over can only get AZ at the moment. I have no issues at all with getting the other shots, I just really don't want AZ. Sigh, still some work to do there.

Health anxiety thoughts still plague me daily too. I'm still convinced my upcoming mammogram will show breast cancer and oral cancer has been my latest terror of choice (so many mouth lumps and bumps when you focus on it!) I've been reading and listening to Dale Carnegie's book "Stop Worrying, Start Living" every day and that's helping me manage my run away thoughts. "Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" is one of his statement that really resonates with me. I also remind myself that when I start worrying, I need to get busy.

Good to see that you deleted that thread you started on the HA forum, Carrie. That's certainly progress.

What would you most like to be able to do if you were able to manage your HA successfully? How would you fill the "gap" left by HA?

As for the AZ jab, why do you think you would be one of the unlucky ones to get a severe reaction? What evidence do you have ? Why would you be singled out? Why not add that one to your diary list?

Thanks Pulisa, I really have made some big improvements in the past few months. I was talking to a friend of mine about it and said last week I had a few days where I almost felt optimistic Lately I'm finding my anxiety doesn't have as tight a grip on me. I still have all the thoughts, but I don't get as scared/upset/frustrated/depressed about them. The schema therapy has helped, but really the turning point was the Stop Worrying, Start Living book. That shifted something in my mind. I still think all the bad things will happen to me though, so there's still work to be done.

Re: the AZ vaccine, good idea. I've added it to my list and booked the appointment (again!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information