Hi All,
I am new to this but over this past year my 13year old son has been washing his hands atleast every hour and for way too long and asking me if they are clean after. This happens several times a day with him finding any excuse to do so. Occasionally he asks me to say "you cant wash your hands" and then he says okay and thanks me. This has since moved onto him needing to touch something (currently a particular skirting board in the front room) within 10 seconds. I of course ask why he is doing it and he says he doesn't know he just has too.
I don't know where this has come from nor how to help him stop as his answer when I try sitting him down and talking about it is just I don't know.
I now have him referred for Talking Therapy but they are saying it will take weeks. I wanted some advice of what I can do in the meantime as its just getting worse, within 2 weeks he has develop a new need to switch the kitchen light on and off 4 times before he can leave the kitchen without an issue (starting again when I intervene the 4 times).
I am now a very worried mum, who no longer sleeps...….. any advice or help tips would be so very appreciated.