Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

Hello there, this is really strange to explain, for the past couple of weeks i have been getting annoyed by the buzzing sound of my beard trimmer, the sound makes me anxious to the point i cant finish my shaving without switching it off, the more that i focus on the sound it makes my heart beat faster and i feel my anxiousness rising and scared to carry on, i googled it and im worried i have a Sensory overload, disorder which apparently is associated with epilepsy, didnt know about such a thing, but epilepsy has been a massive fear of mine in over 10 years. I feel now that if ignore the sound while using my beard trimmer it will ultimately end with a seizure and now im sitting here with 1 side of my face shaved.

Re: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

I also forgot to mention it makes my hand and feet tingle with the trimmer on.

sounds like anxiety to me and nothing to do with epilepsy

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for reading, i truly hope so, i survived 15 years using beard trimmers, why only now its starting to grate on me.

Because things start to annoy us when we highly charged or anxious.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by JustBenn View Post
    Hello there, this is really strange to explain, for the past couple of weeks i have been getting annoyed by the buzzing sound of my beard trimmer, the sound makes me anxious to the point i cant finish my shaving without switching it off, the more that i focus on the sound it makes my heart beat faster and i feel my anxiousness rising and scared to carry on, i googled it and im worried i have a Sensory overload, disorder which apparently is associated with epilepsy, didnt know about such a thing, but epilepsy has been a massive fear of mine in over 10 years. I feel now that if ignore the sound while using my beard trimmer it will ultimately end with a seizure and now im sitting here with 1 side of my face shaved.

There's your problem.

I know i shouldn't have, i wouldn't have googled if the sound wasnt making me feel weird.

You should avoid Google especially because it made you feel weird. Because guess what, you've found an incredibly unlikely thing you don't have to worry about as well now.

I've always been overly sensory - turns out it's because I'm autistic, and I have sensory processing disorder (so does my son) an example is that my son used to have meltdowns if a hand dryer went off in the toilets and I feel like I've been punched when somebody touches me - also I struggle to walk down the street without headphones on.

I also have fibromyalgia which is a stress response (pain) issue involving the ANS and hypothalamus. This means that pain is exaggerated - greatly.

Ever heard that song by XTC - Senses Working Overtime? That's me.

Then there's anxiety - where stress hormones cause the body to be hypersensitive - and what you are describing sounds very much like heightened senses due to anxiety (GAD) and nothing at all to do with epilepsy.

Could it be a bit of Misophonia? I have a bit of it due to cancer treatment. When I was in treatment, I was in a large room with a dozen or more other patients getting chemo. When a line became occluded, the machines would beep loudly. It drove me bonkers and I inevitably would get up take my med machine and take a walk around the ward. To this day, a beeping sound gives me chills and makes me want to run!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information