Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    11,591

    Re: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I've always been overly sensory - turns out it's because I'm autistic, and I have sensory processing disorder (so does my son) an example is that my son used to have meltdowns if a hand dryer went off in the toilets and I feel like I've been punched when somebody touches me - also I struggle to walk down the street without headphones on.

    I also have fibromyalgia which is a stress response (pain) issue involving the ANS and hypothalamus. This means that pain is exaggerated - greatly.

    Ever heard that song by XTC - Senses Working Overtime? That's me.

    Then there's anxiety - where stress hormones cause the body to be hypersensitive - and what you are describing sounds very much like heightened senses due to anxiety (GAD) and nothing at all to do with epilepsy.
    Have you looked into hyperacussis, Nora?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    311

    Re: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I've always been overly sensory - turns out it's because I'm autistic, and I have sensory processing disorder (so does my son) an example is that my son used to have meltdowns if a hand dryer went off in the toilets and I feel like I've been punched when somebody touches me - also I struggle to walk down the street without headphones on.

    I also have fibromyalgia which is a stress response (pain) issue involving the ANS and hypothalamus. This means that pain is exaggerated - greatly.

    Ever heard that song by XTC - Senses Working Overtime? That's me.

    Then there's anxiety - where stress hormones cause the body to be hypersensitive - and what you are describing sounds very much like heightened senses due to anxiety (GAD) and nothing at all to do with epilepsy.
    Hey, thanks i appreciate you sharing more about it, what is the ending for you and your son? Say if you just let it happen and let the feeling run its course, you walking down the street without headphones or your son with the air dryer? What would happen?

    For me, i get annoyed by the sun through trees, makes feel i loose focus, but the sound of the barbers using their machine shaving my head doesnt affect me, just my own trimmer. I want to leave the trimmer running for 5 minutes and see what it does to me but im worried

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    311

    Re: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Could it be a bit of Misophonia? I have a bit of it due to cancer treatment. When I was in treatment, I was in a large room with a dozen or more other patients getting chemo. When a line became occluded, the machines would beep loudly. It drove me bonkers and I inevitably would get up take my med machine and take a walk around the ward. To this day, a beeping sound gives me chills and makes me want to run!

    Positive thoughts
    Sorry you went through that, is misophonia common do you think?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    272

    Re: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

    My first thought was misophonia as well. Completely harmless. I have it with people chewing, swallowing and objects relentlessly clanking against one another. Its just an annoyance.

    Best Wishes
    __________________
    I asked myself one day, "What if I actually don't have cancer? What if I'm not really dying? Then surely I'm alive and should be living."

    Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    21,632

    Re: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustBenn View Post
    Sorry you went through that, is misophonia common do you think?
    Yep... a screaming baby or child and other noises do the same thing to me.

    Positive thoughts
    __________________
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

    The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    662

    Re: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

    Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    My first thought was misophonia as well. Completely harmless. I have it with people chewing, swallowing and objects relentlessly clanking against one another. Its just an annoyance.

    Best Wishes
    Yep, I experience the same with those types of noises. Learned several years ago about misophonia.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

    Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Have you looked into hyperacussis, Nora?
    Interesting....
    __________________
    I'm not afraid of death because I don't believe in it. It's just getting out of one car, and into another. ~ John Lennon

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

    Quote Originally Posted by JustBenn View Post
    Hey, thanks i appreciate you sharing more about it, what is the ending for you and your son? Say if you just let it happen and let the feeling run its course, you walking down the street without headphones or your son with the air dryer? What would happen?
    My son is actually more tolerant now than he was a couple of years ago and I think that's because his anxiety levels have dropped now he's left mainstream education. We notice that as soon as his anxiety shoots up - so does the sensory stuff. But even on a good day, he is overly-sensitive.

    Same for me, really, the more anxious I am, the less I can cope with noise of the traffic. It sounds deafening to me - especially when my non-deaf ear is facing the road because it's compensating for the deafness in the left one. The anomaly being that I play loud music through my headphones...

    but the sound of the barbers using their machine shaving my head doesnt affect me, just my own trimmer. I want to leave the trimmer running for 5 minutes and see what it does to me but im worried
    Tone makes a difference to me - greatly. I can shutdown just on the tone of somebody's voice, so maybe something about the sound of your trimmers (some are very harsh) is making you feel anxious? Maybe it's because your brain is making a connection with a similar noise that comes with a bad memory?
    __________________
    I'm not afraid of death because I don't believe in it. It's just getting out of one car, and into another. ~ John Lennon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Life after panic disorder
    By bobpeters in forum Panic / Panic Attacks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-05-16, 01:02
  2. Life after panic disorder
    By bobpeters in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-16, 17:35
  3. Learning to let go: a musician's life with anxiety disorder
    By wearetemporary in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-12-15, 04:00
  4. Processing Symptoms
    By noangeluk in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-11-15, 21:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •