Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

Re: Can you get Sensory processing disorder later in life?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I've always been overly sensory - turns out it's because I'm autistic, and I have sensory processing disorder (so does my son) an example is that my son used to have meltdowns if a hand dryer went off in the toilets and I feel like I've been punched when somebody touches me - also I struggle to walk down the street without headphones on.

I also have fibromyalgia which is a stress response (pain) issue involving the ANS and hypothalamus. This means that pain is exaggerated - greatly.

Ever heard that song by XTC - Senses Working Overtime? That's me.

Then there's anxiety - where stress hormones cause the body to be hypersensitive - and what you are describing sounds very much like heightened senses due to anxiety (GAD) and nothing at all to do with epilepsy.
    Have you looked into hyperacussis, Nora?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I've always been overly sensory - turns out it's because I'm autistic, and I have sensory processing disorder (so does my son) an example is that my son used to have meltdowns if a hand dryer went off in the toilets and I feel like I've been punched when somebody touches me - also I struggle to walk down the street without headphones on.

I also have fibromyalgia which is a stress response (pain) issue involving the ANS and hypothalamus. This means that pain is exaggerated - greatly.

Ever heard that song by XTC - Senses Working Overtime? That's me.

Then there's anxiety - where stress hormones cause the body to be hypersensitive - and what you are describing sounds very much like heightened senses due to anxiety (GAD) and nothing at all to do with epilepsy.
    Hey, thanks i appreciate you sharing more about it, what is the ending for you and your son? Say if you just let it happen and let the feeling run its course, you walking down the street without headphones or your son with the air dryer? What would happen?

For me, i get annoyed by the sun through trees, makes feel i loose focus, but the sound of the barbers using their machine shaving my head doesnt affect me, just my own trimmer. I want to leave the trimmer running for 5 minutes and see what it does to me but im worried

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Could it be a bit of Misophonia? I have a bit of it due to cancer treatment. When I was in treatment, I was in a large room with a dozen or more other patients getting chemo. When a line became occluded, the machines would beep loudly. It drove me bonkers and I inevitably would get up take my med machine and take a walk around the ward. To this day, a beeping sound gives me chills and makes me want to run!

Positive thoughts
    Sorry you went through that, is misophonia common do you think?

My first thought was misophonia as well. Completely harmless. I have it with people chewing, swallowing and objects relentlessly clanking against one another. Its just an annoyance.

Best Wishes

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBenn View Post
    Sorry you went through that, is misophonia common do you think?
    Yep... a screaming baby or child and other noises do the same thing to me.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    My first thought was misophonia as well. Completely harmless. I have it with people chewing, swallowing and objects relentlessly clanking against one another. Its just an annoyance.

Best Wishes
    Yep, I experience the same with those types of noises. Learned several years ago about misophonia.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Have you looked into hyperacussis, Nora?
    Interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by JustBenn View Post
    Hey, thanks i appreciate you sharing more about it, what is the ending for you and your son? Say if you just let it happen and let the feeling run its course, you walking down the street without headphones or your son with the air dryer? What would happen?
    My son is actually more tolerant now than he was a couple of years ago and I think that's because his anxiety levels have dropped now he's left mainstream education. We notice that as soon as his anxiety shoots up - so does the sensory stuff. But even on a good day, he is overly-sensitive.

Same for me, really, the more anxious I am, the less I can cope with noise of the traffic. It sounds deafening to me - especially when my non-deaf ear is facing the road because it's compensating for the deafness in the left one. The anomaly being that I play loud music through my headphones...

but the sound of the barbers using their machine shaving my head doesnt affect me, just my own trimmer. I want to leave the trimmer running for 5 minutes and see what it does to me but im worried
    Tone makes a difference to me - greatly. I can shutdown just on the tone of somebody's voice, so maybe something about the sound of your trimmers (some are very harsh) is making you feel anxious? Maybe it's because your brain is making a connection with a similar noise that comes with a bad memory?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information