Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline/ Brain Tumor

Sertraline/ Brain Tumor

Hey guys. So recently my fear of brain tumors came back due to forgetting the pin code to my workplace. I told my doctor about this but said I think its health anxiety and asked for medication. I was prescribed 50mg of sertraline. Last night I took the first pill and it was hell. Dilated pupils, extreme anxiety where I would pace around the house, I physically got sick and was nauseous all night, tremors in hands and a feeling like my jaw was internally vibrating, I also didn't get alot of sleep due to waking up in the middle of the night. I've has health anxiety for years now this is the first time I've tried to combat it and if anything its making me more anxious. If anyone has any adive it would be much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Re: Sertraline/ Brain Tumor

Quote Originally Posted by ConorWhe View Post
    Hey guys. So recently my fear of brain tumors came back due to forgetting the pin code to my workplace. I told my doctor about this but said I think its health anxiety and asked for medication. I was prescribed 50mg of sertraline. Last night I took the first pill and it was hell. Dilated pupils, extreme anxiety where I would pace around the house, I physically got sick and was nauseous all night, tremors in hands and a feeling like my jaw was internally vibrating, I also didn't get alot of sleep due to waking up in the middle of the night. I've has health anxiety for years now this is the first time I've tried to combat it and if anything its making me more anxious. If anyone has any adive it would be much appreciated.

Stick with it it will pass you will feel better soon. Good luck well done for accepting help. Read the book “help im a hypochondriac” it’s about health anxiety and it really helped me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all get these symptoms at first but they will go after a couple weeks (probably less) and you'll not notice them.

You could perhaps ask your GP for something to help with the side effects, maybe Propranolol for any physical symptoms and/or Promethazine if you're not sleeping well.

Can I ask how you came up with a brain tumour when clearly it is a side-effect of the medication?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi I was fearing brain tumor before I started medication. Since taking medication I got new symptoms which made my anxiety about it even worse. I lowered it to 25mg today on advice from my doctor. Today I've noticed my swallow is very weak and jaw feels tight.

yeah sounds like anxiety and side effects and nothing to do with a brain tumour to be honest

Hey guys. So recently my fear of brain tumors came back due to forgetting the pin code to my workplace.
    Anxiety and depression are more likely to affect memory than brain tumours would as they are the emotional manifestations of atrophy of the two hippocampal regions of the brain which process memory. Antidepressants (ADs) work by stimulating the growth of new hippocampal cells. It is these new brain cells and the connections they form which produce the therapeutic response, not the AD directly.

BTW-sertraline has been shown to inhibit the growth of some cancers. Another AD, the tricyclic clomipramine (Anafranil) seems to be particularly effective for brain tumours.

I was prescribed 50mg of sertraline. Last night I took the first pill and it was hell. Dilated pupils, extreme anxiety where I would pace around the house, I physically got sick and was nauseous all night, tremors in hands and a feeling like my jaw was internally vibrating, I also didn't get alot of sleep due to waking up in the middle of the night.
    These are typical initial side-effects of serotonergic ADs caused by the increased serotonin activity, possibly exacerbated by anxiety. They usually diminish after a week, or two as the body responds by down-regulating serotonin synthesis and expression. Ginger and/or vitamin B6 supplements should ease the nausea.

An initial dose of 25mg for the first week to ease you onto the med would have been kinder and 12.5mg even better. If the side-effects prove too difficult ask your doctor to prescribe sertraline in 25mg tablets and get the okay to cut the tablets in half so you can take only 12.5mg, for the first week increasing the dose by 12.5mg at weekly intervals until you're on 50mg.

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated. Is the swallow symptom anything anyone else has heard of as that's really worrying me at the moment? My swallow feels weak and when I eat my jaw chewing muscles also feel weak

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated. Is the swallow symptom anything anyone else has heard of as that's really worrying me at the moment? My swallow feels weak and when I eat my jaw chewing muscles also feel weak
    Serotonin has many roles in the body including in mediating muscle constriction generally and in swallowing so sertraline may be affecting this, however, it is likely to be temporary. You may notice a range of unusual side-effects in the next week or two as serotonin affects many organs, but these are unlikely to be of significance. SSRIs don't often do any real harm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information