Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Well here we go... 150mg

Re: Well here we go... 150mg

Quote Originally Posted by Paradise10 View Post
    Panic Down Under I hope you and anyone else who may read this have a lovely Christmas.
    Take care, Ava x
    A belated Merry Christmas, Ava. May the New Year treat you and yours kindly.

Take care

Ian

How are you feeling today I started venlafaxine 16 days ago 37.5mg for five days upped to 75mg for a week then upped again to 112.5mg for 4days I was on citlapram 20mg but it stopped working upped to 30mg and still didn't do nothing so switched to venlafaxine I've suffered anxiety and panic attacks for over 20 year always been managed with medication but 3 weeks ago I got tested positive for covid I broke down I was saying I'm going to die since then my panic attacks and anxiety has been through the roof i have numerous ambulance call outs a visit to er had bloods ecg and xray done all came up perfect yet I'm still suffering from the anxiety and attacks constantly thinking about not being able to breathe that something is seriously wrong with me that I'm dying like I feel so I'll like something's wrong I take a dizapam if a night time to go asleep but every morning I wake up between 3 and 4 straight into thinking I can't breathe I'm worried this is me now that I'm never going to feel normal again feel like something is seriously wrong took another test came back positive again that sent me in another panic thinking whys it still in my body is it going to make me get worse again although my symptoms have now gone I know it sounded silly but I wanted to get a test to say negative to then maybe jog my mind back to how it was to say I'm ok but when it came positive again I don't know just thinking I'm going to just stop breathing or my heart is going to stop beating that I'm going to end up in hospital that I'm dying is so exhausting I just want to feel me again 😪 worried I'm not going to feel myself ever again

Quote Originally Posted by Kalie galea View Post
    How are you feeling today I started venlafaxine 16 days ago 37.5mg for five days upped to 75mg for a week then upped again to 112.5mg for 4days I was on citlapram 20mg but it stopped working upped to 30mg and still didn't do nothing so switched to venlafaxine

...I just want to feel me again 😪 worried I'm not going to feel myself ever again
    I'm sorry that you're going through this. Unfortunately, antidepressants (ADs) take time to begin working. They have no direct effect on anxiety, or depression in the way, say, aspirin has on a headache, but work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells in the hippocampal regions of the brain (neurogenesis). It is these new cells and the interconnections they forge which provide the therapeutic response and they take time to bud, grow and mature. As you've been on ADs before it may take venlafaxine longer to kick-in than previous ADs did.

I take a dizapam if a night time to go asleep but every morning I wake up between 3 and 4 straight into thinking I can't breathe
    Diazepam and the other benzodiazepines (BZDs) are not good long term sleep aids as the sedative effect wears off quickly. There is also strong *evidence that BZDs significantly reduce the effectiveness of antidepressants by inhibiting hippocampal neurogenesis (don't stop taking the diazepam until you've discussed it with your GP). Small doses of the very sedating AD mirtazapine might be a better option. Its sedative effects may also help you better cope with the great fear you're experiencing because of Covid until the venlafaxine kicks-in.

* see: Boldrini M, 2014; Nochi R, 2013; Sun Y, 2013; Song J, 2012; Wu X, 2009; Stefovska VG, 2008)

Thank you for your reply how long did it take yours to start kicking in

Hi Katie, I'm so sorry you are suffering like this... I am coming up to 5 weeks tomorrow on the 150mg dose, and while I am not there yet my anxiety is reduced from what it was. You ate most likely in side effects window at the moment, it really ramped my anxiety up from about day 4 to 14. Just remember you can breath, you will always get enough air, its just anxiety. You have also been checked out at hospital so you need to remind yourself its just anxiety and it will pass. As Ian said these tablets don't work quickly as it takes time for the new brain thingies to grow. It took me 8 weeks previously before I felt somewhat back to normal so I have another check in with my doctor on 14th Jan to see if I'm happy on this dose or if I need to increase again. Writing on here has really helped me, especially when I was at my worst and Ian has and still does help me enormously when I have questions or worries about my medication. Have you told your doctor how bad you are feeling, and that you are not sleeping through? He might be able to prescribe a sleeping aid rather than diazepam. I did use 5 or 6 diazepam when the side effects ramped up but I haven't needed it for a few weeks now. I am also having online cbt but I have only had one so I cant say if that will help yet.
    I will update on my last couple of days tomorrow as im on my phone and not laptop at the moment.
    Take care, Ava x

Thank you for your reply how long did it take yours to start kicking in
    I don't take venlafaxine, but one of the older tricyclic class antidepressants (TCAs), Kalie. I've been on it continually for about 26 years after switching from another TCA. I was taking the previous AD for the third time and from memory it took around 9-10 weeks to kick-in that time.

Thank you so much for your reply where I'm always waking up between 3 and 4 I'm ending up falling asleep around 5pm which I did last night and I then woke up at 1pm I took a dizapam hoping to fall back to sleep which I manage to until 3.40 but the moment I wake up to my heart racing that bk thinking I'm unable to breathe and I just don't know why it keeps happening im constantly thinking about stopping breathing and ending up in hospital and I just don't know why I'm always thinking that the pass 2 days I've also been waking up with a headache it gets so exhausting all this thinking I'm dying lark just want to be my happy self again I've also been prescribed promethazine for the sleep I've had 10mg and would sleep for a few hours then up again this time they have prescribed me 25mg but because I heard how dizapam sends you straight to sleep I kind of just took that one for the past 4 nights I'm so worried that this is me now how I'm going to o be stuck like this forever

the moment I wake up to my heart racing that bk thinking I'm unable to breathe and I just don't know why it keeps happening im constantly thinking about stopping breathing and ending up in hospital and I just don't know why I'm always thinking that the pass 2 days
    You've had a big shock because of Covid-19 which can affect breathing and your mind seems to have fixated on that. And anxious mind in full flight can be terrifying.

I've also been waking up with a headache it gets so exhausting all this thinking I'm dying lark
    Venlafaxine may be causing, or contributing to the headache. Serotonin has many functions in the human body in addition to being a brain neurotransmitter and one of these is regulation of blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation. SSRIs and SNRIs may interfere with this initially and one of the side-effects can be headaches. The body usually adapts fairly quickly. Paracetamol (acetaminophen) usually works well and is preferable to aspirin and other NSAID painkillers.

I've also been prescribed promethazine for the sleep I've had 10mg and would sleep for a few hours then up again this time they have prescribed me 25mg but because I heard how dizapam sends you straight to sleep I kind of just took that one for the past 4 nights
    Promethazine (Phenergan is a sedating antihistamine often prescribed for insomnia and it a better option than diazepam, imo, if it works for you as it doesn't inhibit the neurogenesis mechanism by which ADs work.

I'm so worried that this is me now how I'm going to o be stuck like this forever
    You're not going to be like this forever, however, there are no quick fixes. It is going to take a while to regain control.

Thank you again panic down under for your reply I've took a paracetamol and my headache has now gone it seems to be when I take a dizapam I wake up with a headache don't help with 4 young children also to add to it 😆tonight I'm going to try the promethazine rather then the dizapam and see how I get on with it thank you for your positive message

Hi Kalie, how did the promethazine work rather than the diazepam? Did you sleep better? Managing 4 young children with all this going on must be really difficult, do you have help? I have 3 of my own but the youngest is 16 so they tend to just get on with things themselves these days, apart from being the bank of mum and mum's taxi service ha-ha.

Well the last few days have been pretty much of the same as was... Anxiety is highly reduced, tends to ramp up a bit over tea time (4-7pm) but apart from that very low level. I'm still scanning myself and thinking about it all though. Energy levels are quite low and I think I could sleep for England at the moment. It's like everything has slowed down, including my brain. Feel quite sluggish and things are still a massive effort. I am very tense a lot of the time too and don't relax fully. I could just sit and play mindless games on my phone 24/7. Despite this I am still pushing myself and keeping busy.

Christmas Eve was a games night as we have the two older kids home for Christmas, then on Christmas Day we went to my parents for the day. I coped fine and enjoyed the day as much as I could. Boxing day was quiet and we just watched TV for a lot of the day in our PJs which I found quite difficult. Yesterday I went into town with my husband to spend some of my Christmas money. Again it was a struggle but I coped OK and got some new clothes.
    Feel very flat at the moment, not happy but not sad. Not emotionless though either if that makes sense.
    My CBT therapist asked me to watch a video by Russ Harris called 'The Happiness Trap' which I watched this morning, it was quite interesting to be honest. I have my second online session with her in 5 mins so I will update later.

I do hope you are all doing OK and keep going Kalie, keep posting on here as it does help.
    Ava x

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information