Thread: Skin cancer worry

Skin cancer worry

So my HA is at an all time high. Starting with a therapist on Friday so fingers crossed it's the start of the road to recovery.
    In the meantime I'm worried about everything. Every day something (or things) new. I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance for now.

We were in Tenerife last summer for a week (feels like a lifetime ago now ). Anyway my daughter, who was 12 then, got fairly badly burnt on her shoulders and upper arms. The suncream we put on was supposed to be waterproof but it all washed off when we went to a waterpark. After a day or two it nearly seemed to turn raw looking. But she didn't complain much. We put on some after lotion on her and it seemed to do the trick pain wise.

But I'm worried about skin cancer on her shoulders now because of it. Every now and then it worries me. Am I completely over reacting to this?
    She had to get 2 vaccines today on her upper arms. When she removed her shirt I thought her shoulders and upper arms looked red. But the nurse did comment that she was roasting. Probably because she had come out of school which was warm and she had her jumper and jacket on all the time. But when I saw the red arms I panicked. Part of my brain is telling me I'm being ridiculous ( which I usually am these days).
    Please someone tell me I'm not being logical here. She had red arms and shoulders because she was hot. And I need to stop worrying about that burn last summer.

Re: Skin cancer worry

Yes you are being irrational and illogical and you do need to try and do some self-affirmations and work through these things without reassurance.

If you can't do it alone then ask the therapist what you should be doing and saying to yourself.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Skin cancer worry

Thanks for your reply Nicola.
    I totally agree with what you are saying - I know on some level that I'm being irrational. But when a thought pops into my mind it seems as if I have no control over it anymore.
    And that's something that I need help with.
    I'm not as worried about the skin cancer issue today but of course something else has taken over. I won't even bother saying what it is but that is how my anxiety is working these days.
    Literally going from one thing to another and can't control it or stop it. I've tried so many things myself but nothing works. I know I've come to the stage where I need outside help so I'm praying that the therapy I'm starting on Friday is going to work for me.

Thread Information