Thread: Breast worries

Breast worries

So two weeks ago I thought I found what felt like a lump in my breast. Instead of getting worked up over it I decided the best thing to do was to go to the doctor and ask her to check. She checked and said she could not feel anything concerning but would refer me to the breast clinic given the family history (my mum had breast cancer).
    This was all fine until The breast clinic have told me I would have to wait 9 weeks to be seen due to covid!! Not their fault but also not ideal when all I will do is worry.
    Anyway I decided I would book privately to get a scan done just so I could have it out the way...well I turned up for my appointment only to find out that the sonographer had left the week before - (can't make this stuff up). The doctor there offered to do a check of my breasts to give me piece of mind and said she could feel lumpiness but again nothing sinister and said if it were her she would be happy to wait for my referral.

Should I feel reassured by this? Logically I think I should but I am struggling to get my mind to the place where I have some peace. another 6 weeks of waiting seems so long. Any tips on how to stop my mind going round would be good.

Re: Breast worries

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Breast worries

Quote Originally Posted by bethanyjoy View Post
    So two weeks ago I thought I found what felt like a lump in my breast. Instead of getting worked up over it I decided the best thing to do was to go to the doctor and ask her to check. She checked and said she could not feel anything concerning but would refer me to the breast clinic given the family history (my mum had breast cancer).
    This was all fine until The breast clinic have told me I would have to wait 9 weeks to be seen due to covid!! Not their fault but also not ideal when all I will do is worry.
    Anyway I decided I would book privately to get a scan done just so I could have it out the way...well I turned up for my appointment only to find out that the sonographer had left the week before - (can't make this stuff up). The doctor there offered to do a check of my breasts to give me piece of mind and said she could feel lumpiness but again nothing sinister and said if it were her she would be happy to wait for my referral.

Should I feel reassured by this? Logically I think I should but I am struggling to get my mind to the place where I have some peace. another 6 weeks of waiting seems so long. Any tips on how to stop my mind going round would be good.
    Hi there,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I've been there a few times so I know exactly how you feel.
    But from what you're saying I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Firstly your own doctor examined you. She said she couldn't feel anything concerning. That's a very good sign. She only referred you because there is a family history but also because that's what doctors do. I've been referred to the breast clinic a few times, even though my doctor told me she doesn't think there is anything to worry about. And each time I was fine.

Then the doctor in the breast clinic examined you. She said she felt lumpiness, which is so so common, but again nothing sinister.

Believe me, if either doctor felt anything that they thought there was even a slight chance it could be sinister, you would be referred much much quicker.

I know 6 weeks is a long time when you're worried about this, but it's actually a good sign. The doctors aren't worried so you shouldn't be either. They don't mess around with things like this.

We feel lumps all the time, and if you're anything like me, a lump is a lump. But doctors feel lumps all the time too and they know what the bad ones feel like. And neither doctor said they felt that with you.

Everything you said is reassuring. Try to keep telling yourself that. The 6 weeks will pass, and you'll come through this. All I can say is try not to worry, all the signs are good. Try to distract yourself if that works for you. Treat yourself, even if it's watching a good movie with a box of chocolates

Hope you feel better soon xx

Thread Information