Thread: Does anyone remember a documentary film from the 70s called 'Juvenile Liaison'?

Does anyone remember a documentary film from the 70s called 'Juvenile Liaison'?

This film has showed up on YouTube on and off, and was filmed circa 1975 (2 years before I was born), and was centred on Blackburn, Lancs, England (I think) and dealt with errant kids in said area who had been caught stealing, physically assaulting their parents, and many more depictions of chronically dysfunctional families at the time.

Even though it was very much of its time, I found it very poignant and quite an uncomfortable watch on occasions, especially as I could sense many underlying issues within each of the families of the affected kids that were often greatly overlooked by the police, social workers, teachers, etc at the time (and sadly still today in some instances) and I personally found Sgt Ray, the main Juvenile Liaison officer in the programme extremely cringe-worthy, even at my age now.

And there was a case where the police were summoned to deal with one teenage girl for telling her mom to eff off, (where said girl was given a rollicking by the female officer over it and thought of as a 'slut') a bit OTT, even in the 70s. For better or worse, that would be totally unthinkable nowadays, and no doubt considered a waste of valuable police time.

Does this doc film ring any bells with anyone?

Re: Does anyone remember a documentary film from the 70s called 'Juvenile Liaison'?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    This film has showed up on YouTube on and off, and was filmed circa 1975 (2 years before I was born), and was centred on Blackburn, Lancs, England (I think) and dealt with errant kids in said area who had been caught stealing, physically assaulting their parents, and many more depictions of chronically dysfunctional families at the time.

Even though it was very much of its time, I found it very poignant and quite an uncomfortable watch on occasions, especially as I could sense many underlying issues within each of the families of the affected kids that were often greatly overlooked by the police, social workers, teachers, etc at the time (and sadly still today in some instances) and I personally found Sgt Ray, the main Juvenile Liaison officer in the programme extremely cringe-worthy, even at my age now.

And there was a case where the police were summoned to deal with one teenage girl for telling her mom to eff off, (where said girl was given a rollicking by the female officer over it and thought of as a 'slut') a bit OTT, even in the 70s. For better or worse, that would be totally unthinkable nowadays, and no doubt considered a waste of valuable police time.

Does this doc film ring any bells with anyone?
    I had a quick look on BBC Genome and it wasn't in the timeframe you specify.

Can I also ask that people don't use "rollicking" as a synonym for "bollocking"? The two words have entirely different meanings and are not interchangeable.

Re: Does anyone remember a documentary film from the 70s called 'Juvenile Liaison'?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I had a quick look on BBC Genome and it wasn't in the timeframe you specify.

Can I also ask that people don't use "rollicking" as a synonym for "bollocking"? The two words have entirely different meanings and are not interchangeable.
    Oh I didn't know that PM. I was just using the word 'rollicking' because I thought it was a less offensive euphemism.

Perhaps I should have said 'verbal reprimand' instead!

I think I may have read somewhere that said programme might have been banned from being broadcast at the time due to its potentially sensitive nature, but it's definitely listed on the IMDB website, and also on Wikipedia.

There was also a schools programme on ITV back in the 80s called 'Starting Out', which was actually a series of dramas centred on the theme of dysfunctional families, which I found equally cringe-worthy. I remember watching an episode recorded off-air from January 1986 on a VHS tape in class at school as part of a PSE lesson in early 1992 (I think) that really freaked me out big time, as there was a storyline about a chronically unemployed alcoholic dad beating his son with a belt after he had found out that the kid had been huffing glue in order to escape the turmoil of both the family and school, where the kid was also bullied. Both parents were forever having domestics as well.

I really fear that might be a sign of things to come in real life in many families over the coming months especially with our Chancellor's dire economic forecast announced recently.

I also dread the thought of riots, terrorist attacks, etc happening next summer.

Thread Information