Thread: Imagining my heart palpitations

Imagining my heart palpitations

I feel like I am imagining my heart palpitations at night
    I don't have actual palpitations were it flutters or anything just being aware of my heartbeat only at night, I feel it more than I would any other time. My heart rate is well within normal range and fine but I dont know why this is, my anxiety has been fine for a while and now this all of a sudden?
    Is it possible my anxiety is making me just imagine my heart beat or just making me hyper aware of it without a change to my heart?

Re: Imagining my heart palpitations

Quote Originally Posted by KingLing View Post
    Is it possible my anxiety is making me just imagine my heart beat or just making me hyper aware of it without a change to my heart?
    Yes. Similar to when we start itching as soon as somebody mentions 'head lice'.

But even if you were having actual palpitations - this would also be normal with anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Yes. Similar to when we start itching as soon as somebody mentions 'head lice'.

But even if you were having actual palpitations - this would also be normal with anxiety.
    I was worried about them not being normal as they seem to last the entire time I get into bed until I fall asleep when I google palpitations are supposed to only be a few minutes?

I was worried about them not being normal as they seem to last the entire time I get into bed until I fall asleep when I google palpitations are supposed to only be a few minutes?
    People can mean different things when they talk about 'palpitations', so describe your 'palpitations'...

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    People can mean different things when they talk about 'palpitations', so describe your 'palpitations'...
    It's mainly being hyper aware of my heart and feeling it in my chest beating, not even the conventional flutter or anything. Just feel the pounding in my chest even tho my heartrate is normal heart palpitations was all I could find online

It's mainly being hyper aware of my heart and feeling it in my chest beating, not even the conventional flutter or anything. Just feel the pounding in my chest even tho my heartrate is normal heart palpitations was all I could find online
    That sounds like typical hyper awareness of a bodily function, which is extremely common with anxiety. Yes, it's possibly palpitations (pounding is one type of palpitation) but they're harmless, and likely caused solely by stress/anxiety. When I feel that pounding, I often find that drinking a bunch of water actually helps. Mild dehydration can cause the sensation, too, so water helps.

^^^^^^^^^ What bin said.

Thread Information