Thread: Panic disorder long term affects and recovery

Panic disorder long term affects and recovery

The doctors claim I am going through a period of recovery from severe anxiety and panic disorder however I still have intermittent panic attacks which are severely distressing but no where near as bad as they were and I don’t fear them as greatly as I did. But now my wondering is and this is on a genuinely serious level does panic disorder stop? Or when is it at a level it will not be detrimental to your heart and health? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Panic disorder long term affects and recovery

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixess View Post
    The doctors claim I am going through a period of recovery from severe anxiety and panic disorder however I still have intermittent panic attacks which are severely distressing but no where near as bad as they were and I don’t fear them as greatly as I did. But now my wondering is and this is on a genuinely serious level does panic disorder stop? Or when is it at a level it will not be detrimental to your heart and health? Thanks
    Recovery is a very gradual process. Your body has been adrenalized and sensitised for a long time and it will take time (and continued effort on your part) to decrease the stress hormones in your body down to a level where your body reacts minimally, if at all. If the panic attacks are becoming fewer then you're on your way to recovery. I still get occasional panic attacks and I consider them a cardiac workout more than anything to be concerned about.

Keep up the good work!

Yes it stops, but it can come back. The one thing that every person who suffers with anxiety disorder needs to accept is that anxiety will come back. It comes back because it's a normal physiological function.

The panic disorder part is the problem, that reaction where you start panicking about panic. Once you lose the fear of anxiety, panic disorder disappears.

Try not to use language like 'severe anxiety' and 'severely distressing'. We've all been there, but it's our reaction that was severe, not the anxiety itself.

Everybody has panic attacks, but the magic comes from recognising it as something as natural as sneezing or sexual arousal. It's just what we do. When it happens again (and it will) just observe it without getting engaged with it. Your CNS will soon realise that nothing is actually wrong and calm down again.

I started having severe panic attacks, sporadically, fifteen or sixteen years ago. They lasted a couple years, then it seemingly disappeared entirely. Then they suddenly started back up in 2015 (so about a 10 year gap), and they've been sporadic ever since. So yes, they can sort of "go away", but they can indeed come back, as others pointed out.

As of late, I've experienced very mild panic symptoms. I do still have short lived panic attacks, but they're easily manageable. Will they return in full force eventually? Perhaps. But oh well, we will all manage.

My GAD is better than it was, but I still have panic attacks, but not as many.
    From all I’ve read on anxiety, panic attacks will not damage your health, although they are very unpleasant and can be disabling x

Hi there, i've suffered from PA and then GAD for about 10 years in total i'd say. Which resulted in social anxiety, some form of acrophobia, depression, etc.. now that i read it, sounds like a lot
    I'm happy to say that I'm a fully functioning adult now, feel very strong and happy . Yes i do feel a bit anxious sometimes, i still have some triggers i.e some meetings at work, crowds, a breakup or problems in life, stress and pressure at work, etc. I even have the odd start of a panic attack, but it's very much manageable. I probably had a full on panic attack only once in the last 2 years, because I manage to break the cycle and by a change in attitude and mentality. And the other thing that helps me a lot is the fact that i am a lot more aware of myself and my body, i recognize the signs a lot better and I slow down and focus on my needs when I see it happen, for a few days until I feel that i've gone over the bump. This mainly happens due to stress at work, i sometimes feel like it's too much and it starts affecting me. As it was mentioned before, some anxiety is normal in life, we are not robots - we are and always be affected by circumstances, the work we do, what happens to us and even things outside our control, such as weather. But there is a lot of hope also, it can be done

Ongoing pressure, tension can harm the mind, increment danger of major mental issues. People need to discover approaches to decrease constant pressure and nervousness in their lives or they might be at expanded danger for creating melancholy and even dementia, another logical audit paper cautions. For more info, take a look over here https://reliefseeker.com/

Thread Information