Thread: Do you like stuff from before your time?

Do you like stuff from before your time?

i am only 15 but i already found out that i like old music. I like The Beatles, David Bowie, Motown (the Supremes, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, Four tops and so on) i got a Spotify account and i'm listening to this stuff from years ago, a long time before i was born.

Then also i saw Columbo with my nan, she likes him . He is crazy, he never stops chasing after his suspects, he is very funny and seeing it with my nan i liked Columbo!

Also i saw One Foot in the Grave with my nan. Victor is hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4icMkZkAeQ

I like these old things before i was born, i see the past. I see how life was before i was born. I really get interested and like it.

Also i like David Jason as Del boy and Inspector Frost, he is cool in these shows.

I love watching these shows with my nan

Re: Do you like stuff from before your time?

Quote Originally Posted by Liam2021 View Post
    i am only 15 but i already found out that i like old music. I like The Beatles, David Bowie, Motown (the Supremes, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, Four tops and so on) i got a Spotify account and i'm listening to this stuff from years ago, a long time before i was born.
    Hi Liam, the Beatles split up the year I was born but that didn't stop me loving their music. Bowie is one of those artists who transcends generations - especially to people like me (the weirdos and misfits lol) Motown was never a strong interest with me but my mother loved it so when I hear Diana Ross etc - it reminds me of her.

My music collection is eclectic to say the least. There's everything from classical to punk and some thrash metal in there and each track tells a story because music is one of my main passions in life.

RE programmes like Only Fools...me too cocker, and it's partly because they don't seem to make quality programmes like this anymore, but also because I used to watch the programme with my dad and he's been dead a long time now, so watching Delboy and Rodders makes me think of him. Often it's the case that it's not just about the programmes that we watch, but also about the people that we watch them with.

I know what you mean about interests in things long before we're born. With me it's always been the 1940s. Everything about the era interests me and my house is full of 1940s stuff 'n' style. At school, history had become a yawnfest with all the crop laws and which did nothing for me at all. Then we did the Second World War so I put my Smash Hits away and paid attention lol

Sounds like you have a lovely relationship with your nan.

Absolutely Liam

When I was younger, I used to watch lots of really old black and white comedies that were on TV at the time. Usually things like Laurel and Hardy, which were made a good 40 years or more before I was even born!

My eldest son who is 12 now is obsessed with the 80s, both the music and the films.

Same here, Liam.

Although very fond of the music of the 70s (when I grew up - I was your age when that decade drew to a close) I'm also very fond of the dance bands of the 1920s and 1930s and have a large collection of 78rpm records of same, plus a very large number of radio sets of that vintage too. It's quite relaxing for me to put a stack of 78s on a record player or radiogram and just escape 2020 for a while.

I love Columbo I've got the boxset! Whenever I feel low I watch Columbo.

I love this song. I didn't know it was from Suicided Squad. I don't watch anything new lol. I'm actually remixing this song into Hip Hop

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

I was the very same when I was your age Liam, and used to get ridiculed at school for not liking acid house and hip-hop (the former genre was still the in-thing back in 1992 when I was your age), whilst still seeking solace in music from the late 70s-early 80s era, with a bit of Beatles and Motown thrown in.

I found it difficult to fit in and bring myself to like a lot of the music (and films, TV shows, etc) of the 90s, which was, as already mentioned, the decade I was a teenager, let alone a lot of the music, films and TV shows of today.

So don't feel ashamed or embarrassed about liking older stuff from before your time, remember it's your own personal choice and your mates at school have no business whatsoever in getting indignant about your tastes in entertainment (that's if they do, of course).

It's great that you are able to enjoy some relaxation time with your Nan too, Liam.

Absolutely! We love The Beatles in my house. My six year old falls asleep to the Beatles playing on her Alexa every night. I'm 37 and when I was growing up we had Nick at Night in the US - it was the kid's channel but in the evening it would play old shows from when my parents were kids, like I Love Lucy, Mr. Ed, Green Acres, and a bunch of other shows. I also grew up loving Elvis!

It's totally normal for parents and grandparents to share their favorite things with their kids! The last Harry Potter movie came out three years before my daughter was born, but now she's a huge fan. Same with Lord of the Rings. Those books were written 30 years before I was born, but the movies came out for audiences when I was in high school and now my daughter loves the books (my husband read them to her) and the movies!

Sharing these things across generations is totally normal and great!

Quote Originally Posted by Liam2021 View Post

Then also i saw Columbo with my nan, she likes him . He is crazy, he never stops chasing after his suspects, he is very funny and seeing it with my nan i liked Columbo!

Also i saw One Foot in the Grave with my nan. Victor is hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4icMkZkAeQ

I like these old things before i was born, i see the past. I see how life was before i was born. I really get interested and like it.

Also i like David Jason as Del boy and Inspector Frost, he is cool in these shows.

I love watching these shows with my nan
    I love Beatles too! They are legendary
    If you love Beatles, there is this foreign band who do covers of Beatles songs as well as BeeGees and other good old time classic - I am hooked with this REO Bros., Yes nothing beats the original but theyre good indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    So don't feel ashamed or embarrassed about liking older stuff from before your time, remember it's your own personal choice and your mates at school have no business whatsoever in getting indignant about your tastes in entertainment (that's if they do, of course).
    Well said!

Thread Information