Thread: New to sertraline

New to sertraline

Hi everyone, I’ve been a member of NMP for several years and have been doing ok. But this pandemic has really shook me (as it has everyone) and the last couple of months have been awful in terms of anxiety. My husband, daughter and I all had covid about 6 weeks ago and since then I have a new string to my anxiety bow-health anxiety. Every twinge and sensation I am over analysing and fretting and catastrophising. Yesterday my GP prescribed sertraline. With instructions to take half a 50mg tab for one week then one a day after that. So I’ve been looking at them since yesterday, of course have looked up the side effects. And now I’m scared to take them. I previously took venlafaxine but the start up effects and discontinuation effects of those were awful, hence the sertraline. I just know that if I have side effects I’ll be freaking out thinking there’s something wrong with me. Any advice, encouraging stories would be much appreciated please. Sorry for the long post xx

Re: New to sertraline

Quote Originally Posted by Coni2 View Post
    Hi everyone, I’ve been a member of NMP for several years and have been doing ok.
    back,

Yesterday my GP prescribed sertraline. With instructions to take half a 50mg tab for one week then one a day after that.
    Good. Your GP is wiser and more caring than most.

So I’ve been looking at them since yesterday, of course have looked up the side effects. And now I’m scared to take them.
    Unfortunately, that's a 'good' way of ensuring you'll experience them all. An anxious mind is quite capable of delivering the whole side-effects gamut in widescreen Technicolor with Dolby surround sound if given half a chance. Side-effects are one area where ignorance can truly be bliss. The maker of my AD no longer puts patient info sheets in the box, but back when they did I had my pharmacist remove them even though I could recite them from memory if I'd allowed myself to think about them. Just one of those silly mind games that get us through the day.

I previously took venlafaxine but the start up effects and discontinuation effects of those were awful, hence the sertraline.
    The SNRIs are notorious for the severity of their initial side-effects and venlafaxine is one of the two hardest ADs to discontinue because of its short half-life. Sertraline will almost certainly cause fewer issues, especially at 25mg.

The thing to always keep in mind is that while side-effects can sometimes be unpleasant and scary, they are rarely a sign of actual harm. The problem is serotonin isn't only a brain neurotransmitter. It has many roles in most organs of the body and these functions can be impacted by SSRIs at the beginning. However, the body usually soon adapts with no harm done. I've found the best tactic is to keep busy so you don't have time to dwell on them. Read a book, rearrange the furniture, go for a brisk walk. Anything to keep your mind off what is happening with your mind and body.

Thank you panic down under. I agree reading the side effects was probably a bad idea but like googling it’s a terrible compulsion that I find hard to control. I’m slightly reassured that if I managed to tolerate venlafaxine at the start (though I remember it vividly) then hopefully this won’t be too bad. I’m going to take the first one tonight before bed. I think 🙈. I just wish I didn’t need them😢. But if it’s the first step to recovery then it’ll be worth it and if it gets me through the rest of this pandemic without completely falling apart then I’ll be happy. Thanks again for your reply and the welcome back 😊

Hi

Did you have a previous login?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I just wish I didn’t need them😢. But if it’s the first step to recovery then it’ll be worth it and if it gets me through the rest of this pandemic without completely falling apart then I’ll be happy.
    You do what you need to do. Doing nothing is the worst of the available options. Plus, there are far worse meds to be on than ADs. As a bonus SSRIs reduce heart attack and ischaemic stroke risk (but slightly raise that of the much less common haemorrhagic stroke) and of Alzheimer's disease.

So....after looking at the box of sertraline for the last week, I finally plucked up the courage and took the first half tablet last night before bed. My logic was I’d hopefully sleep through the worst of any side effects. I actually slept quite well. Felt a bit seedy when I got up but not too had so far. I just want rid of this constant feeling of stomach churning dread. I feel like I have maybe taken back a tiny bit of control.

So....after looking at the box of sertraline for the last week, I finally plucked up the courage and took the first half tablet last night before bed. My logic was I’d hopefully sleep through the worst of any side effects. I actually slept quite well. Felt a bit seedy when I got up but not too had so far. I just want rid of this constant feeling of stomach churning dread. I feel like I have maybe taken back a tiny bit of control.
    Good for you!

Side-effects are often worse in the anticipation than the reality. Despite the impression support groups can give, most people have only mild side-effects. It is the minority that experience more severe ones that find their way to the groups. Nor are all side-streets necessarily caused by the med. An anxious mind is quite capable of delivering our worst side-effects nightmare to us if given the chance. The important thing to keep in mind is that while side-effects may sometimes be unpleasant they are not indicators of harm. Most can be eased, even eliminated, often with simple home remedies.

Thread Information