Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toilet anxiety - heart attack and/or stroke

Re: Toilet anxiety - heart attack and/or stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Pamplemousse, I think Nic was trying to point out that CBT or therapy sessions need replenishing from time to time when our minds tend to wander into that turmoil of overthinking stuff that sends down that rabbit hole of anxiousness and panic.
    But herein lies the difficulty, Carnation: CBT is supposed to give you the tools to condition your thoughts away from the destructive ones we have. But clearly, if it keeps needing "top-ups" then the basic premise isn't working, would you not agree?

All my CBT to date has been free and on the NHS, I would add.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    CBT is supposed to give you the tools to condition your thoughts away from the destructive ones we have. But clearly, if it keeps needing "top-ups" then the basic premise isn't working, would you not agree?
    Personally no, I wouldn't agree. Having used CBT techniques to battle depression and anxiety due to my real life physical illnesses, I found it to be effective only if practiced regularly. I found the techniques not only useful in battling mental issues as they've helped in everyday life situations like work and personal relationships, intimate and otherwise. I equate it to physical therapy. If you don't regularly work out or practice the physical exercises to treat your physical issues, you lose any gains made. The same applies to mental workouts and practices. CBT does give you the tools. But like actual tools, if you don't use them, they can't help you construct the things you're trying to build. I'm with the others on this. It takes constant effort, determination and practice to become proficient. Overcoming anxiety issues or physical issues isn't a quick fix pill like an antibiotic to defeat a bacterial infection. You need to be pro-active and always work at it.

You said your current situation has become "as natural as breathing" and that's the real issue. You need to practice the mental techniques to the point that they become as natural as your current reactions to your perceived symptoms.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 28-11-20 at 20:37.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yes, I think fishmanpa has summed it up quite nicely.

I always enjoy reading your posts Nora, but I have to disagree with you on some of your points.
    My auntie smoked 60-80 fags a day for near enough 60 years and latterly cut down to about 20.
    She eats like a mouse, but downs whiskey, Gin and brandy every day. (Not altogether). She's so thin and fragile that if you blew your nose she'd more than likely fall over.
    She is now an incredible 98 years old approaching 99 in the next couple of months.
    She also rarely gets ill. Explain that one? Not literally, but in a manner of speaking.
    You've misunderstood me Carnation...

Firstly, you're right in saying that some people can drink, smoke, eat to excess (or not at all) not get ill and live to an old age, but my aunty wasn't one of them. Her lifestyle weakened her lungs which weakened her heart because it had to work so much harder. She was very weak in the end and the exertion of straining on the loo finished her off. That was her story. I'm very happy to know that this hasn't been the case for your aunty.

The point I was making is that a person generally needs to be very ill and very weakened in order to die in this way, but also that I don't see this as a 'bad' way to go. How can it be when it's all over within seconds?

Thanks Nora, for the clarification.

I didn't want anyone to think that just because they smoke, or have a tipple or two and even underweight that they would automatically pop their clogs while having a number 2.

Thanks Nora, for the clarification.

I didn't want anyone to think that just because they smoke, or have a tipple or two and even underweight that they would automatically pop their clogs while having a number 2.
    I hear ya sister.

That said, the way HA works is that some people will worry about carking it on the loo just because it's been mentioned - as in the OP - and this is even if they've never smoked, drank alcohol, and are of normal weight.

I've ticked all three boxes in my time, but in all honesty, if I was to cark it after (or during) a tricky poo - it would be quite apt as I'm always talking about my bowels and I like 'potty humour' in general.

Or is because I talk a load of shite? (I'll get that one in before anybody else does)

It might be a convenient way for you to go, Nora...

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I hear ya sister.

That said, the way HA works is that some people will worry about carking it on the loo just because it's been mentioned - as in the OP - and this is even if they've never smoked, drank alcohol, and are of normal weight.

I've ticked all three boxes in my time, but in all honesty, if I was to cark it after (or during) a tricky poo - it would be quite apt as I'm always talking about my bowels and I like 'potty humour' in general.

Or is because I talk a load of shite? (I'll get that one in before anybody else does)
    I agree about the suggestibility rabbit hole..It's a hard one to manage with HA and those seeds of fear grow easily.

Hope you are feeling a bit more reassured, PM?

Nora, that's very true! Once an OP posts a heading of concern, it leaves HA sufferers wide open to jump on the band wagon thinking, "oh my, will it happen to me?".
    And this is the reason why so many anxiety suffers avoid those threads like the plague.
    One person's concern can multiply in it's droves in the matter of minutes.
    And most of us that have replied to pamplemousse have suggested that he should seek help for the anxiety in general with CBT and therapy and whatever else he would find beneficial instead of mentally torturing himself everytime he goes to the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I agree about the suggestibility rabbit hole..It's a hard one to manage with HA and those seeds of fear grow easily.

Hope you are feeling a bit more reassured, PM?
    Actually, yes - the fear has passed. I'm still doing something hitherto unmentioned and that's obsessing about the colour of my poo. Anything that looks slightly reddish concerns me and I find myself trying to recount everything I've eaten in the last 48 hours and wonder if that has a bearing on it, even considering the actual shade of reddishness.

This started a couple of years ago when my best friend was diagnosed with Stage IV bowel cancer (he's fine now, by the way) and of course, I start thinking "well, if it happened to him, it could happen to me". He does have a family history though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information