Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I feel gutted that millions of mink were killed

Re: I feel gutted that millions of mink were killed

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I wouldn't say this world is evil. Take humanity out of it and evil wouldn't exist would it?

It's people who are the problem, and even then it's a minority - not the majority.

Part of the problem is that some humans have a desire to be more powerful than nature. Beautiful and majestic animals are seen as trophies - despite the fact that it took a bullet, rather than strength, to bring them down - which isn't exactly a fair fight.

I vote we remove their guns and see how well they fare with lions and tigers. (my money is on the lions and tigers)

I think that killing an animal for pleasure (sport hunting) is morally wrong - end of - but obviously many people do think it's morally ok.

However...

If you've ever watched one of David Attenborough's documentaries there's invariably a hunting scene where one animal hunts and rips apart another one. In our house this tends to happen when I'm just about to eat my tea. Death is agonising and messy. Is it evil when a lion rips a gazelle to bits and feasts on the poor sod's innards? Of course not. It's nature - just as much as when a moggy presents its owner (or the person who buys the cat food) with a dead bird, mouse or whatever. Cat's chuffed with itself. Owner retches their way to the outside bin..

There is a necessary need for hunting (eco system etc) because an out of balance eco system means extinction for certain species which has a knock on effect with other species and nature in general, but hunting for pleasure is abhorrent to me. The thought that a human being should derive pleasure from taking the life of an innocent animal sickens me.

Problem is also that people have different ideas of what's acceptable and what isn't. Take rats who are God's creatures as much as any other yet most people don't hesitate in calling in the exterminator when Roland and his family set up home in their houses. To be fair, rats are disease carriers and The Black Plague (rat fleas) killed shit loads of people and we've all done history lessons so we generally see the rat in a negative way. Also, the buggers chew through wires which makes them potential fire starters, so it's necessary to move these creatures on, but this should be in a humane way which releases them into the wild. When it comes to their place in the ecosystem - they are scavengers - little hoover-uppers and seed populators - not to mention food for other animals. They are also biologically similar to us which is why they are used in medical experiments, and some people thing that's wrong except that their mum, dad or child gets to beat cancer because of the rat's role in scientific experiments. Rat's life or my kid's? Rat's life or me being able to take a drug which will keep me alive (and with my son) for longer? You know the answer. Does that make me evil? No, it makes me human.

Personally, I think we should use evil murderers for these experiments and make their existence actually count for something beneficial, but that's against their human rights apparently...
    Also, what about animals who are assassinated in abattoirs almost every day that we end up eating ourselves as beef, lamb, pork, etc? That's technically just as cruel and inhumane in the grand scheme of things, yet most of the time, most of us don't even give it as much as a second thought.

But then people start grieving over the mass culling of mink in Denmark whose alleged mutated Covid infections could have posed even greater threats to our own lives and rendered the vaccines virtually useless, if left unchecked.

Call me insensitive all you wish but it just smacks of double standards as far as I'm concerned.

Re: I feel gutted that millions of mink were killed

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post

Just on the subject of rats Nora, a recent documentary on Channel 5 about the plague in London 1665 led to the conclusion that rats and their fleas were not the main cause of transmission. They now believe it was human body lice, now extremely rare but common back then.
    Interesting! I'll have to try and find that...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information