Thread: New here and struggling. Muscle twitches

New here and struggling. Muscle twitches

Hi all—Thank you for being willing to read and possibly empathize. I have been under lots of stress and anxiety for varying reasons since early November. Since then —I’ve had lots of random muscle twitches all over...mostly concentrated in the legs particularly thighs and calves. When I am up doing normal activities I don’t notice anything but when I sit down to rest/relax they start up again! They are not large twitches but many random small ones that are starting to scare me and cause severe panic attacks. Which in turn doesn’t help. I’m hyper focused on them and wonder if my mind might be manifesting them? I wait for them to return every time I sit and when sleeping—if I force myself to meditate and relax I can almost make them disappear but the second I’m not focused on letting go they come back. It’s been going on for about 2 weeks. I’ve also tried magnesium and drinking lots of water but they seem to stick around. I’m terrified and loosing sleep over fear of a serious disease. Please help!
    Thanks!!

Re: New here and struggling. Muscle twitches

I could have written this! I have them every time I lay down to relax, along with crazy heart palpatations. I have also been under a lot of stress and anxiety. I think our bodies are fine tuned for noticing these things, especially when we have a proclivity toward anxiety. It's not much comfort but just wanted to let you know, you're not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by icantbestill81 View Post
    I could have written this! I have them every time I lay down to relax, along with crazy heart palpatations. I have also been under a lot of stress and anxiety. I think our bodies are fine tuned for noticing these things, especially when we have a proclivity toward anxiety. It's not much comfort but just wanted to let you know, you're not alone!
    Thank you for responding!! Actually not being alone helps so much! Whenever I read (very limitedly) about anxiety and muscle twitches it usually says it will resolve in a short amount of time..however mine haven’t—thus the concern. I know deep down it will probably work its self out but it’s hard to have patience and remain calm about it in the mean time.
    Best wishes for yours to go away! My thoughts are things won’t get better until anxiety/stress is lessened.

Muscle twitches were the first thing I had that led to me finding this site. They are a classic anxiety symptom and so many people reading your post will have experienced them. Mine went on for months....but changed location now and then. They might start again randomly, and do sometimes trigger my HA again but mostly I accept them as harmless...but annoying.

Had the widespread muscle twitching for 3 years. It started after having anxiety about something unrelated. I take vitamin b12, magnesium and vitamin d. It helps reduce the twitching. Just stay away fron google and visit a doctor if it's worrying but I'm confident it's just anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Metriik View Post
    Had the widespread muscle twitching for 3 years. It started after having anxiety about something unrelated. I take vitamin b12, magnesium and vitamin d. It helps reduce the twitching. Just stay away fron google and visit a doctor if it's worrying but I'm confident it's just anxiety.
    Similar story here. Mine started after a very stressful period in my life. I've had them for over 4 years. Don't really notice them when active. I notice them when I am at rest, or thinking about them. When they aren't happening, I tend to let my mind wonder about when and where the next twitch will be. If I could just get my mind off of them, perhaps they would fade. Haven't found any particular supplement to be real helpful. Epsom salt baths help me relax in the evening.

I have similar, started around 3 years ago after severe health anxiety. Sometimes they go away then come back when particularly stressed. Mines only happen as I'm falling asleep. I don't give them a second thought now as know they are harmless. :-)

Thread Information