Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday In Name Only

Re: Black Friday In Name Only

I still keep getting ads for Black Friday deals popping up on my Android smartphone whilst viewing this site/forum, especially as the actual day has now passed.

I'm sick to the high teeth of it all now and don't want to see or hear the words 'Black Friday' again until November 2022, though I now accept that the BF campaign in itself is now a month-long thing, like it or not!

ETA, But I've just remembered, it's Cyber Monday tomorrow, so that's probably the reason why it's still hanging on over this weekend.

I get you, but money is one of my main sources of anxiety. I actually really like deals being around for a few days so I can pick and choose the things I really want without feeling stressed.

The ads mess up browsing on my phone as they cause delays in loading. It makes the layout snap downwards. It's a nuisance because you have to wait or you click on a thread and find yourself in a different one.

Installed an adblocker and now it's fine. Try that?

I'm with Blue on the deals. I'm not usually looking for stuff but this year I am so it's a week to keep a look out.

It's probably healthier for people not to impulse purchase, I think. I buy beading patterns during the Black Friday period - they don't cost much, but they cost even less at half price. Having several days means that even working full time, I can go through the hundreds available and work out what I really want.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    It's probably healthier for people not to impulse purchase, I think. I buy beading patterns during the Black Friday period - they don't cost much, but they cost even less at half price. Having several days means that even working full time, I can go through the hundreds available and work out what I really want.
    I guess there's far more serious issues in the world to be uptight over right now (e.g, the Omicron variant) and all things Black Friday pale into relative insignificance by comparison.

Anyway, I've vented my spleen more than enough on this matter for the past year now, so case closed!

Just one final word in this thread; one ad that does keep popping up that I don't mind is Vrbo (pronounced Verr-bow).

Although I'm in no great rush to get away on holiday anywhere in the near future, I just happen to find said brand's logo interesting and amusing, especially as it's written in an eye-catching stripy italic font.

Surely my response to the above constitutes a kind of stoicism, or 'bittersweet'.

Just send Black Friday back to the US of A where it belongs ... along with all the other nonsense that has been shipped over here!

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    Just send Black Friday back to the US of A where it belongs ... along with all the other nonsense that has been shipped over here!
    Oy. Most of us US of A-ers don't care for the nonsense either.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I know I haven't posted in this thread for a couple of years now but whilst just replying to another thread on here, a 'Black Friday'-themed ad popped up on here that bears the words 'Black November' instead of 'Black Friday'.

Although I've been feeling less overwhelmed with seeing the words 'Black Friday' up in lights everywhere so far this year, my immediate thought was 'that's more like it at long last', as BF has now become almost a month-long event, at least in terms of endless ads all over the place.

Mind you, I've noticed less media reports about customers behaving like animals in stores during said event over more recent years (since about 2017), which was probably one of the main things that put me off the event in the first place.

Another Black Friday-related ad that popped up today on my phone whilst online referred to it as 'Black Week'.

Sounds like some of these 'entrepreneurs' spewing out these ads are now finally getting the gist at long last.

I personally thought the term 'Black Friday' was already outdated and well past its sell-by date by the late 2010s as it spanned well before just a singular named day/date by then.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information