Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday In Name Only

Re: Black Friday In Name Only

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I recall a few years back the BF thing often resulted in in-store disturbances on both sides of the Atlantic (but most notably in the USA), with customers stampeding for many items, which thankfully (at least here in the UK), appear to have quietened down over more recent years.

I wonder if certain individuals, especially the dregs of society, happened to revel in the excitement of all the scrums, pack mentality and general tribalistic nature of the BF events? Very reminiscent of football hooliganism, and the like IMO.
    Gawd the “dregs of society”

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Well I'm saving a few quid on pressies so

It's true though, you do have to check the deals as they can look inviting but aren't too dissimilar to other regular ones. To be honest it's not how it was a few years ago. It's dressed up as a big thing but it's no different than many other sale periods. Great for some tech but not so discounted on other things.
    I agree with your line about 'it's dressed up as a big thing', as with many annual events nowadays, it's just another 'hyped-up' event and trying to outdo previous years, especially profit-wise.

Bit like the X-Factor, which thankfully (IMO) has been given the boot this year.

When I first logged onto this site this morning on my smartphone, I was bombarded with yet another banner advertising Black Friday deals, so it's seemingly been dragging on for more than a week now. FGS, just put the whole BF thing back in the loft till the end of November 2021. And better still, either make it just one day (Friday) or if it has to be over multiple days, change the name of the event to something more relevant!

Well it was Cyber Monday yesterday so at a few mode days the deals will show.

I've been looking for a shaver for my dad as his is playing up. The same discounts are showing as over the weekend, the only difference being the black Friday label has gone. So these are deals they may do any time as prices fluctuate and newer model's come out.

If you are lucky you can drop in reduced to clear shavers in Tesco throughout the year. It's how I got is current one a few years back at about 70% off.

We're already being visually assaulted by poxy ads for Black Friday randomly popping up on here (I'm viewing this site on an Android smartphone BTW).

Is it now mutating into a month-long event, let alone a week-long event, hence the thread title 'Black Friday In Name Only'?

Ahhh yes, 1st world problems eh LB? That's capitalism folks. I'm waiting for the thread about Christmas decorations already in the stores weeks before Halloween

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

We're on fairy lights instead, FMP.

I don't get the big deal, to be honest. I keep an eye out for cheap beading supplies and don't buy things I don't want.

This grumpy old Brit wants to know why the Hell we "celebrate" what is essentially an American import anyway - we don't celebrate Thanksgiving, so why the Hell do we have "Black Friday" other than as another excuse to celebrate greed and buy consumer goods we don't actually need?

Because we're a capitalist society. It's a shame, but change is inevitable.

Honestly, though, who are we to decide what other people do with their money? I don't go nuts but I do look out for things I've wanted but haven't been able to justify buying.

It's more the fact that Black Friday still refers to a specific day but has strayed from it's literal meaning over the past 3-4 years or so by extending over several days or even weeks that really irks me.

Of course, I don't really care as to whether or not people take part in it as it's still a free country after all, but like I said in this thread last year, how about changing the name to something more apt like 'Bargain Week/Month', perhaps, rather than continuing to use branding that is now essentially beyond its original meaning.

Plus I'm no full-on 'woke'/pro-cancel culture either!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    really irks me.
    trite

adjective

1. (of a remark, opinion, or idea) overused and consequently of little importance; lacking originality or freshness.

Just saying If poo like this and the other things you post about bother you, that's on you. I'd wager most, like myself, don't give a hoot nor allow it to occupy my mind or 'irk' me.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information