Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Friday In Name Only

Black Friday In Name Only

Why does Black Friday now essentially drag out over virtually an entire week rather than just a single day?

Why doesn't said event just get rebranded with a more fitting name rather than specific to a certain day of the week, which is now irrelevant given BF is no longer solely on that particular set day/date?

Re: Black Friday In Name Only

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Why does Black Friday now essentially drag out over virtually an entire week rather than just a single day?

Why doesn't said event just get rebranded with a more fitting name rather than specific to a certain day of the week, which is now irrelevant given BF is no longer solely on that particular set day/date?
    I still struggle to see why we have a Black Friday in the UK, when we don't have Thanksgiving?

Give it time, PM..

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

BF is basically a swizz according to Which..

98% of products they looked at which were on Black Friday 'deals' were found to be available for the same price or cheaper in the 6 months after the sales, and also that 85% of items had been the same price or cheaper in the six months before BF.

So it might as well be re-labelled as ' Ripping You Off Black Friday', or 'Dick Turpin is Alive and Well - Black Friday'.
    Last edited by NoraB; 29-11-20 at 09:13.

I think in general people are cottoning on to the BF charade. Haven't we got Cyber Monday to endure as well? What on earth is that meant to represent?

It's all very confusing to me lol

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    It's all very confusing to me lol
    hahaha i am confused too All I know is that we get discounts

I recall a few years back the BF thing often resulted in in-store disturbances on both sides of the Atlantic (but most notably in the USA), with customers stampeding for many items, which thankfully (at least here in the UK), appear to have quietened down over more recent years.

I wonder if certain individuals, especially the dregs of society, happened to revel in the excitement of all the scrums, pack mentality and general tribalistic nature of the BF events? Very reminiscent of football hooliganism, and the like IMO.

It's called Black Friday because in business, it means making a profit and staying out of the red (loss and debt) businesses want to be in the Black, that is how they did their ledgers back in the day, profit earning was written in black ink and loss was written in red ink it has nothing to do with the color of someone's skin.

Well I'm saving a few quid on pressies so

It's true though, you do have to check the deals as they can look inviting but aren't too dissimilar to other regular ones. To be honest it's not how it was a few years ago. It's dressed up as a big thing but it's no different than many other sale periods. Great for some tech but not so discounted on other things.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information