Thread: Red line in white part of eye

Red line in white part of eye

I'm sorry I'm posting again but I can't stop worrying about my son (19 yrs old)
    I noticed today that he has a red line in the white part of his eye. It goes from the inner corner over to his pupil. I'm in a panic over it, thinking the worst.
    I'm falling down the eye cancer route and I can't stop it. I don't even know if a red line like that is a sign of eye cancer.
    Has anyone had a red line like that just appear? What can cause it?
    It's definitely fairly new, wasn't there a week or two ago.

The last time he went to see an optician was about 6 months ago. He just went for a routine eye exam as he needed new glasses.
    The optician told him then that his eyes looked fine, but it was 6 months ago.

Re: Red line in white part of eye

It could be nothing - just watch and see.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Redness in eye is a super normal thing, so no need to be concerned especially since he had an eye check up. It can happen from allergies, rubbing your eyes, or eye strain, or not enough sleep. Recently I woke up with a big red patch in my eye from rubbing it during allergy season. I think when I checked the internet said to get it checked out or call an eye doctor if it doesn't get better in like a week or two. But it's really common and will probly be back to normal really soon.

Is it my anxiety making me worry about this or is it normal to be concerned?
    I haven't seen him much today, and when I did see him i could see that the red line is still there. But I don't want to say it to him as I don't want him to know I'm worried. I try to hide my anxiety as much as possible from my children.
    I've nearly googled it a few times today but I've managed not to do it so far.
    I just wish i knew whether it's a sign of anything dangerous.
    If it's just a blood vessel and it's something harmless, like the previous posters mentioned, how long should it be there for?

Could be there for a couple of weeks

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

A couple of weeks? Blimey, didn't think it could last that long.
    The only thing I can do atm so is wait and see. It's very difficult to check it, because it's hard to see it in the lights on in the house and I don't really see much of him during daylight hours. And he also tends to look anywhere but at me when he's talking to me.
    Have to play the waiting game so ......

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenGirl View Post
    Have to play the waiting game so ......
    The thing is that you actually don't have to play the waiting game. This red line is literally in your son's line of sight. If he were worried about it or if it was causing him issues, I imagine he'd say something. Our eyes are full of veins, literally full of them, and sometimes they become agitated. Don't waste your life worrying about something that is honestly nothing sauce.

Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    The thing is that you actually don't have to play the waiting game. This red line is literally in your son's line of sight. If he were worried about it or if it was causing him issues, I imagine he'd say something. Our eyes are full of veins, literally full of them, and sometimes they become agitated. Don't waste your life worrying about something that is honestly nothing sauce.

Best wishes
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. It seems to be how HA works I suppose, play the waiting game until we know something is ok, then move onto the next worry and wait until we know about that and so on ..........
    Am I still worried about it? Yes I am.
    Even though I think it might have improved a bit, it doesn't seem to be as obvious as it was when I first saw it.
    But the fact the I'm so worried about this has me thinking that I need to go back to the doctor about it. And not to ask her about the red line, but to talk to her about more medication. I'm running out of options though.
    The meds I'm on now are just not working and over the past few weeks my anxiety is just snowballing. And I'm trying to get into therapy but atm it's like banging my head against a brick wall.....

Thread Information