Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Christmas fairy lights

Re: Christmas fairy lights

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    What are your Christmas plans for this year, Lenco?
    Good question BI.

Haven't planned anything just yet but I certainly have higher hopes for Christmas this year in general than last year, when we were mostly in lockdown.

Back to my gripes about Christmas lights with strobe effects, I personally think those who designed them to be like that must have been crackers, especially in these H & S-obsessed times where they can cause epileptic seizures, and of course the blame/suing culture we now have.

That aside, there are some true works of art around our estate again this year.

Personally I don't like them flashing. They can be quite irritating as well, so I go for static or a soft twinkle.
    But I do appreciate the effort of the wonderful displays and work that has gone into their displays.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Personally I don't like them flashing. They can be quite irritating as well, so I go for static or a soft twinkle.
    But I do appreciate the effort of the wonderful displays and work that has gone into their displays.
    I turned up at work on Friday afternoon to be presented with a ratty little Christmas 'tree' made out of green enamelled copper wire with LEDs at the ends, which ran off two AA batteries. Only half the LEDs lit and it ate batteries. For whatever reason, I was the only one of three electronics engineers that could actually diagnose the fault, find it and repair it...

I did find myself looking at displays on my drive home and marvelling at them, but I long for the simple light strings made up of just twelve moulded glass bulbs and some lovely glass baubles, as were common in the 1950s.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I did find myself looking at displays on my drive home and marvelling at them, but I long for the simple light strings made up of just twelve moulded glass bulbs and some lovely glass baubles, as were common in the 1950s.
    And still common during the most part of the 80s IIRC. It's only really been since around the mid-90s or so that all the fancy OTT designs have essentially become the norm, especially with many people trying to outdo each other with their increasingly elaborate 'in-yer-face' flashing displays that resemble discos and inadvertently pushing everything to the max ever since then!

Seriously, sometimes less is more.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread Information