Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 99

Thread: Christmas fairy lights

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1,577

    Christmas fairy lights

    Obviously it's now that time of year once again where such devices are all over the place, and of course even earlier than ever this year.

    I have always loved festive fairy lights ever since I was a little kid, and I can't help feeling a bit nostalgic for older types of fairy lights, which I seem to recall up until the early 90s, almost all sets being of the multicoloured type, and many had shaded bulbs, which we hardly ever see nowadays.

    Since around the mid-90s, sets with all-clear bulbs have become the norm (my mom bought our first all-clear bulb set in 1994), which I personally have always thought were very bland and soulless compared to more traditional multicoloured type sets.

    My biggest pet hate with Christmas fairy lights is those that are in cool white that look more like silver/grey when illuminated. They look so bland and boring IMO, and my brother has them on his Christmas tree which keep flashing on and off, and I feel dead sorry for my three nephews having such blandness, but they don't seem to mind though, as it's probably all they've ever known.

    And don't get me started in those bright all-blue flashing super troupers outside many people's gaffs these days that look like a police car or ambulance is parked on their drive!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,988

    Re: Christmas fairy lights

    Everyone has different likes and dislikes, personally I don't like LED coloured lights that much but you know if others put them up then I appreciate they've gone to some effort to brighten up the community.
    I feel dead sorry for my three nephews having such blandness, but they don't seem to mind though, as it's probably all they've ever known.
    I think its a mistake to assume that other people having different lifestyles and experiences means they have it worse than you Luckily we are all different, or it would be a very dull world, and that is reflected in the illuminations outside and in our houses.
    Last edited by Carys; 01-12-20 at 11:51.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    24,897

    Re: Christmas fairy lights

    I like the trend towards old fashioned wooden stuff. It reminds me of the more continental approach whereas the 80s it was more tinsel.

    There are some really nice wooden plaques and models around.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 01-12-20 at 17:33. Reason: Typo
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Christmas fairy lights

    Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Everyone has different likes and dislikes, personally I don't like LED coloured lights that much but you know if others put them up then I appreciate they've gone to some effort to brighten up the community. I think its a mistake to assume that other people having different lifestyles and experiences means they have it worse than you Luckily we are all different, or it would be a very dull world, and that is reflected in the illuminations outside and in our houses.
    That's just my opinion and I was just putting myself in the boots of my nephews. There's no right or wrong any way.

    I did say that my nephews don't seem to mind and that it's probably all they've ever known. Plus of course there's that old expression 'one person's trash (or pain) is another person's treasure (or pleasure)'!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,190

    Re: Christmas fairy lights

    Scrooge is in the house.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,988

    Re: Christmas fairy lights

    Plus of course there's that old expression 'one person's trash (or pain) is another person's treasure (or pleasure)'!!
    Absolutely, and one person's blandness is another person's beauty ! I still think theres an assumption being made that your nephews are missing out, when they probably like their lights. They may think your bright coloured ones are gaudy. If you have blue, purple, coloured, yellow white, icy white or whatever.......it all adds to the overall patchwork of festivity I reckon. It should be a time of tolerance, peace and kindness, so don't let fairy lights get to you.
    Last edited by Carys; 01-12-20 at 18:24.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    24,897

    Re: Christmas fairy lights

    Just don't criticise my 6ft inflatable Homer Simpson Santa!

    (I've not got one really. I used to see one outsize one house blowing around in high wind and it was a bit distracting on the bend in the road as you came around it)

    How about the Christmas ad with the festive dinosaur? Can't beat a grinning T-Rex with a Santa hat on.
    __________________
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For free Mindfulness resources, please see this thread I have created to compile many sources together http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168689

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,455

    Re: Christmas fairy lights

    I've not put up a Christmas tree or anything festive for years, but what does surprise me is the fantastic prices vintage Christmas tree lights fetch on eBay - usually the ones made by Pifco that had MES moulded glass bulbs wired as good Trades Unionists (one out - all out!) and usually with only twelve bulbs in. These were the sort we had when I was a child, complete with the bayonet lampholder plug you connected into a normal lampholder - which meant there was a fantastic shock hazard there with the exposed plunger contacts for the bulb!

    In fact I got my first electric shock that way, aged about four or five... and speaking to many of my peers it would seem that early electric shock sets you on to a path in electrics or electronics

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,455

    Re: Christmas fairy lights

    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I like the trend towards old fashioned wooden stuff. It reminds me of the more continental approach whereas the 80s it was more tinsel.

    There are some really nice wooden plaques and models around.
    I went to the Munich Christmas Market this time in 1999. It was fabulous - far better and classier than the lamentable tatfests we call "Chrstmas Markets" here in the UK.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    192

    Re: Christmas fairy lights

    Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Obviously it's now that time of year once again where such devices are all over the place, and of course even earlier than ever this year.

    I have always loved festive fairy lights ever since I was a little kid, and I can't help feeling a bit nostalgic for older types of fairy lights, which I seem to recall up until the early 90s, almost all sets being of the multicoloured type, and many had shaded bulbs, which we hardly ever see nowadays.

    Since around the mid-90s, sets with all-clear bulbs have become the norm (my mom bought our first all-clear bulb set in 1994), which I personally have always thought were very bland and soulless compared to more traditional multicoloured type sets.

    My biggest pet hate with Christmas fairy lights is those that are in cool white that look more like silver/grey when illuminated. They look so bland and boring IMO, and my brother has them on his Christmas tree which keep flashing on and off, and I feel dead sorry for my three nephews having such blandness, but they don't seem to mind though, as it's probably all they've ever known.

    And don't get me started in those bright all-blue flashing super troupers outside many people's gaffs these days that look like a police car or ambulance is parked on their drive!
    Iím with you on those blue flashing lights Lencoboy my absolute christmas pet hate, what the hell blue lights have got to do with Christmas iíll never know, Christmas is red, green, silver, gold but never blue.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-01-17, 13:37
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-12-16, 11:51
  3. Fairy Poem, You View Please
    By PaganGothicAngel in forum Panic Pause/Humour/Games & Quizzes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-10-08, 13:09
  4. Starting to feel the anxiety fairy flapping round my ears!
    By Lisab in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-08, 13:37

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •