Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas fairy lights

Re: Christmas fairy lights

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Absolutely, and one person's blandness is another person's beauty ! I still think theres an assumption being made that your nephews are missing out, when they probably like their lights. They may think your bright coloured ones are gaudy. If you have blue, purple, coloured, yellow white, icy white or whatever.......it all adds to the overall patchwork of festivity I reckon. It should be a time of tolerance, peace and kindness, so don't let fairy lights get to you.
    No problem Carys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I went to the Munich Christmas Market this time in 1999. It was fabulous - far better and classier than the lamentable tatfests we call "Chrstmas Markets" here in the UK.
    Well 1999 is quite a long time ago (21 years), so things might not be quite the same there now.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Just don't criticise my 6ft inflatable Homer Simpson Santa!

(I've not got one really. I used to see one outsize one house blowing around in high wind and it was a bit distracting on the bend in the road as you came around it)

How about the Christmas ad with the festive dinosaur? Can't beat a grinning T-Rex with a Santa hat on.
    well Terry I'm very disappointed no homer inflatable 😭 why 🤣🤣

Gosh, theres a lot of 'light rage' around, I never knew Christmas can be any colour you flippin like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Well 1999 is quite a long time ago (21 years), so things might not be quite the same there now.
    Bavaria has very strict rules on what can be sold at a Christkindlmarkt.

Which German Xmas market is the best one to visit, PM?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post

I have always loved festive fairy lights ever since I was a little kid, and I can't help feeling a bit nostalgic for older types of fairy lights, which I seem to recall up until the early 90s, almost all sets being of the multicoloured type, and many had shaded bulbs, which we hardly ever see nowadays.
    Me too. I used to lie under our tree for hours staring at the lights. They didn't flash, twinkle or fade in and out - they were just static lights. It was the 70s after all. But it filled my little heart with joy. It's just a shame that they were attached to a really naff (silver) Christmas tree.

Full disclaimer: I still stare at fairy lights and when Hubs took me on, he did so knowing that fairy lights are for life, and not just Christmas. (I have them up in 4 of our rooms all year round)

And don't get me started in those bright all-blue flashing super troupers outside many people's gaffs these days that look like a police car or ambulance is parked on their drive!
    I hear you! I'm all for a tastefully done up house exterior but some are just migraine inducing, and quite frankly an attack on the eyeballs!

We call them 'Grizzers' which comes from the excellent National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation where Clark Griswald decks the exterior of the house in 25'000 twinkling lights. Truth be told, Clark's were semi-tasteful, but we use the term based on quantity of lights...

There's a Grizzer opposite us - full on flashing blue lights - strobes - you'd love it Len.

On the Batty tree there are (or will be when I get the damn thing up) retro fairy lights and twinkly ones (I'm a sucker for a twinkle) and some lit up 'presents' which hide the fairy light cables - oh, and the once obligatory candle arch.

Nora, I just watched that film last night!

I have memories of my dad's frustration of checking string lights for the one broken bulb

Have to say though some of the cool exterior designs you see in the news are interesting. For many years a guy near us turned his house into a grotto and became a local news feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Gosh, theres a lot of 'light rage' around, I never knew Christmas can be any colour you flippin like.
    We need a group to campaign for Christmas diversity. Maybe call it Christmas Lights Matter (CLM)

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Nora, I just watched that film last night!
    Shitter's full.

I need to watch that today. I need cheering up lol

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information