Thread: EMDR

EMDR

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMDR

Sorry, I'm not sure if your allowed to post links in this site, I just included the above as wikipedia gives you a description of what EMDR is.

I am going to be trying this in January/February hopefully, if it works in the way described it would be great, but it seems a bit too good to be true.

I'd love to wipe out a lot of negative memories and if this does so, then I'll be delighted.

But, living up here in the Highlands, I'll not get my hopes up as January/February 2008, could turn out to be January/February 3478, if my experience of waiting lists are anything to go by.

So, has anyone any experience of EMDR? I had never heard of it till my Occupational Therapist mentioned it a couple of weeks ago.

Re: EMDR

Hi there

I have had EMDR, although I must add that its was more through accident than design.

After trying meds (and not getting on too well with them) I pressed my GP for CBT. Unfortunately, CBT was not available but I was offered EMDR.

Not one to shy away from something new I said yes. It was then I found out that it was designed for PTSD (I believe it was originally developed for Nam Vets) but PTSD was not my illness. I actually suffered from GAD/Health anxiety.

I did however, find it extremely relaxing. I was fitted with pulsating widgets on my hands and asked to follow a light back and forth whilst the therapist asked me questions.

Even by her own admission, I was not the ideal candidate for EMDR on account that I was not suffering from the specific illness it was designed to treat.

This led me to decide to quit after 4 sessions as it was NHS, I felt it unfair to complete the course knowing that it would probably not resolve my issues (I did not have PTSD) and my therapist's time would be better spent treating a genuine PTSD sufferer.

It would be interesting to hear how you get on with it, I hear it is very succesful for PTSD sufferers

TC

Jaco

Never mind the EMDR.

Lets chat about Celtic that's far more important.

Decent result at the weekend, considering the previous 2 results.

Rangers had a good result yesterday

LOL thequietone, what are you like !

Andrea
    xxxxx

Yes chap

I was nearly in tears lol after Rangers stuffed us 3 - 0 at Ibrox, then the Rangers (Muppets FC) lose at Dundee ? priceless

Hail Hail

Jaco

Thread Information