Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Afraid of losing my dog

Re: Afraid of losing my dog

Thanks Carnation. I had a bit of a panic Google and worked myself up in a later about prognosis and medication costs, then had to reel myself in and remind that I don’t really have any diagnosis yet and this could be yet another hypothesis that is incorrect. Then I did manage to take a nap.

He’s settled for right now, so hopefully that lasts into tonight and we can get some real rest. Just have to take it day by day I suppose.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Well, he had his Cushing's test yesterday and I just got the call that it was negative. The vet still needs to review the records from last year, and then she'll call again to tell me what she thinks, but really it seems again like it's something that is wrong but no one will ever know what is wrong. I'm not sure at what level things will start to go south, since his ALP just keeps rising, but she said as long as he is eating and not throwing up that's a good sign. It's just hard to know that at any day something could go really wrong, and not really know what is happening in the meantime. His fear periods are concerning as well, I wonder if something is happening internally that is making him feel weird and that's scaring him? I just wish I could make it better.

I'm feeling guiltier than ever about boarding him in a couple of months, but I am boarding with a vet and he'll be close by...but I think I'd be nervous about it no matter what. I'm going to ask the vet about vaccines because I know some stuff has been going around and I don't want him to get sick with something else - he's up to date on all of the required stuff, but I need to see if getting him a flu vaccine is necessary.

It’s definitely puzzling poppy. Try not to think about the boarding for now, it’s two months away and you may have more of idea by then. x

I'd agree with Carnation Poppy. We so worry about our pets though don't we. Our black lab is an elderly lady now, but she still loves her walks and dinner time. Sometimes we can't help but think of losing them, so its important to try and concentrate on the here and now. It clearly shows how much you love your dog, that makes him very lucky. Some never experience that do they.

Try not to worry about the boarding Poppy, it sounds like an ideal situation where he'll get well looked after.

Thanks, all. I posted about this on a dog-specific forum and someone just mentioned that maybe his anxiety medication (paroxetine) could be causing issues. It's probably unlikely; he's been on it a long time and everything I see seems to indicate that if it were causing liver trouble it would have happened very early on, also all of his other liver values are normal so it's very possible it's not a liver problem at all. But I will call the vet today and see what she says, maybe it's time to wean him off. I was planning on trying that eventually but was hoping it could wait until after he boarded, but maybe we can do a different short-term med while he's boarding as I know he'll be quite anxious.

To be honest I think my biggest fear would be that it ends up being something I've caused. It is awful to have him be unwell, but if it were something I could have prevented or due to something I did I think it would be very hard to forgive myself. But I suppose all we can really do is the best we can in the moment?

It's highly unlikely its going to be anything you have caused poppy and any meds given have been on the recommendation of the vet. You are thorough and pretty much clued up. Try not to overthink the situation.

My cat suffers with anxiety and one of the triggers is a windy day. It took me 10 years to realise it.
    If only they could talk.

Thanks, Carnation. I did chat with the vet, and she mentioned that if were the medication his other liver values would likely be raised, and it wouldn't explain the fever. She's going to talk to the vet school about his tests last year and see if she can get more info, but for now I'll keep him on the meds and then wean him off after the trip.

Wind can be a big trigger. It's very noisy, and it also kicks up all the neighborhood smells. I do wish they could talk, it would make things much easier.

It sounds like you have good communication with your vet. That must be a comfort. x

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information