I had an internal ultrasound on my ovaries yesterday after being referred by my GP for irregular bleeding between periods, heartburn and abdominal pain during certain activities which have lasted about a year now.

I was actually pretty relaxed about the whole thing, thinking it was probably going to be clear, and that it was probably all down to hormones or something else unrelated. Ovarian cancer is rare at my age afterall (34)

Now I'm in pieces. I got a call first thing this morning saying I needed to go to the hospital and get a CA125 blood test as soon as possible. It was advised by the radiographer that I get that as soon as I can. My heart sank. They must have seen something very worrying.

I was told to come into the surgery and get a form to bring to the hospital to pathology. I asked if there was any more information they could give me and they said sorry they couldn't tell me anything over the phone. So I took the form into the hospital and was tested there an then.

Now I have to wait for results to see if I might have ovarian cancer. I have no idea how long that will be, and I'm beside myself. My boyfriend broke down into tears which made it all worse, as I don't want to put any undue stress on him. He's a highly educated and logical man, always finding the facts and positive outcomes, so seeing him in that state was so upsetting.

I'm also aware that the CA125 test isn't very reliable in younger women, so I'm nervous that something is bad and will get missed.

The blood test form said there was an ovarian cyst, but one that needed investigating. No information about what kind or size it is, no hints as to how urgent this was. I'm so worried. In my experience, the blood test comes first and the ultrasound gives more information...so why is it being flipped? Is it routine for the NHS to test the blood AFTER the ultrasound shows something? Would love to know. I'm avoiding Google as it's a minefield.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has been through something similar? Specifically if you had imaging THEN a blood test. That's the bit that's sticking out as an alarm. Does it possibly mean the ultrasound showed something malignant and now they want bloods to confirm? I always thought the ultrasound was the next step after the blood levels are tested.

I'm exhausted already and it's barely lunch time. I'm trying to keep a really positive face on for my boyfriend but the anxiety over this is building up in my head and I needed to get my thoughts down.