Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ovarian ultrasound yesterday. Referred urgently for a CA125 blood test- scared

Re: Ovarian ultrasound yesterday. Referred urgently for a CA125 blood test- scared

I'm so glad that you had such a swift and caring response from the doctor. Informed knowledge about your own treatment plan is so important and cuts out all the crap available from the offices of Dr Google.
    My friend had a large dermoid cyst-hair, teeth and all-along with normal CA125 result. Let's hope you get your gynae appointment through really quickly-it sounds as if you have an excellent doctor who is doing her very best to get you seen asap xx

Re: Ovarian ultrasound yesterday. Referred urgently for a CA125 blood test- scared

Quote Originally Posted by WorryRaptor View Post
    Haha, yes I did read some interesting things can be tucked away in those cysts. I hope mine doesn't have teeth or it might try to bite when they remove it!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I'm so glad that you had such a swift and caring response from the doctor. Informed knowledge about your own treatment plan is so important and cuts out all the crap available from the offices of Dr Google.
    My friend had a large dermoid cyst-hair, teeth and all-along with normal CA125 result. Let's hope you get your gynae appointment through really quickly-it sounds as if you have an excellent doctor who is doing her very best to get you seen asap xx
    I'm hoping it's just a dermoid cyst or something harmless. It's sitting in the back of my mind that they haven't told me what kind of cyst it is yet, so I'm hoping the next appointment makes that more clear. How did they identify what kind of cyst your friend had? I had an ultrasound which I assumed was a gold standard way to pinpointing what kind I'm dealing with, but maybe not.

I'm not actually sure as it was a while back but it was a large cyst so maybe easier to classify by ultrasound? Scass has recently been down the ovarian cyst pathway so i'm sure she could advise you on what she had done re investigations. I know she had an MRI for final confirmation after ultrasound and gynae consultation and everything was benign. This won't reassure you of course but she may be able to explain what is involved in the treatment plan at least from her point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I'm not actually sure as it was a while back but it was a large cyst so maybe easier to classify by ultrasound? Scass has recently been down the ovarian cyst pathway so i'm sure she could advise you on what she had done re investigations. I know she had an MRI for final confirmation after ultrasound and gynae consultation and everything was benign. This won't reassure you of course but she may be able to explain what is involved in the treatment plan at least from her point of view.
    I read the thread by Scass last night, and it was so good to see she got the all clear at the end! That whole journey must have been so nerve wracking for her.

I'm staying focused on the facts that a: The doctors are being really thorough and not dismissing me, b: There's a chance that this cyst just needs a bit more imaging for a clearer picture and c: Even if it looks wonky, it could be benign!

That's a very sensible and helpful attitude to have. Concentrate on fact and not anxiety fiction. I'm glad Scass' experience has helped. Ovarian cysts are very common but you need a thorough assessment leading to a conclusive diagnosis which is what you will get as soon as possible x

Having a little bit of anxious moment. I know this is probably my brain making all kinds of silly connections, but I'm starting to attribute a lot of my mystery illnesses to this whole thing. I've stayed off Google, but from my general knowledge of family members who had cancer and info you pick up along the way, I'm getting worried that this has been going on for a long time. I've spent the past 3 or so years will lots of strange symptoms like sudden weakness and fatigue, pelvic pain, tenderness over that ovary which I ignored for ages, leg aches, nausea, heartburn, dizziness, irregular bleeding, ibs, back ache. The list goes on. Vague things that were always treated as separate issues (without much success at all).

I realise much of this is probably anxiety, and the frustration of waiting to hear what the next step is. Just having a bad day :(
    Last edited by WorryRaptor; 06-12-20 at 18:22.

A little update. Hospital called with an appointment for next week. They're really moving fast. So nervous.

To be fair they are moving fast as they now have free capacity to treat people.

I was referred for a transvaginal ultrasound scan and I got it within 2 weeks. I think it is just that they don't have that many people needing those sorts of treatments.

I have had cysts in the past and this time they found largish fibroids. One was obscuring my right ovary but they are not treating it or doing anything about it.

My ovarian cyst went on its own.

It is nothing sinister until they 100% tell you that it is.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    To be fair they are moving fast as they now have free capacity to treat people.

I was referred for a transvaginal ultrasound scan and I got it within 2 weeks. I think it is just that they don't have that many people needing those sorts of treatments.

I have had cysts in the past and this time they found largish fibroids. One was obscuring my right ovary but they are not treating it or doing anything about it.

My ovarian cyst went on its own.

It is nothing sinister until they 100% tell you that it is.
    Glad to hear yours turned out to be benign.

Did they know what your cysts were from the ultrasound? I seem to be reading conflicting info on wether the ultrasound is effective at identifying cancerous cysts or not. My situation is that they've already done the ultrasound, then after that immediately put me on the two week cancer referral and ran the CA125 blood test on me. Everything became urgent after that tv ultrasound. I'm hoping that this means maybe they just need more imaging done to be sure its benign, but I can't help thinking it's serious. They confirmed it was a "complex" cyst, meaning it could possibly be cancerous.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information