Thread: Building a health forum - would anybody be interested in doing it with me?

Building a health forum - would anybody be interested in doing it with me?

Hi guys, I hope it's not a problem me posting this here. I used to be a regular poster here and suffered with anxiety, health anxiety and many of the symptoms that come with it. (See my old posts). I'm at a different stage of life now and have overcome my anxiety to a large degree a would say I've certainly moved away from the irrational fears about my health. That being said, I do have a couple of lingering physical health problems and have developed a passion for all things health and wellbeing, alternative therapies, natural remedies, supplements etc. I'm sure some of you have also developed these interests.

Based on this i'm hoping to set up a forum for people to discuss health issues and ideas around getting their health back on track. I suppose a lot of the people who will post on the forum will be those who have been through the NHS but not found any suitable treatment or answers and might want to look elsewhere. It might be for people who have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME or Fibromyalgia to talk about what helps them. Or people with health conditions that there just seems to be no answer for but improvement can be found in diet, supplements, lifestyle, alternative medicine.

I know there are some forums out there covering some of the things I've mentioned but none with a really great community to support each other and share ideas that could make a massive improvement to somebodies health.

Really interested in getting a forum set up very soon but not sure I can go it alone. Would be interested to hear from anybody who would like to partner up or would like to help moderate on the forum. Please feel from to send me a private message or respond here. From my experience there is a great bunch of people here, so I thought NMP the best place to post this. Don't worry, i'm not looking to steal people from NMP . This is going to be a physical health forum more than anything, not based around anxiety/mental health, although I know the two are often closely link. I hope thats ok. Thank you.

Re: Building a health forum - would anybody be interested in doing it with me?

I don't understand why you can'tjust use NMP?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I don't understand why you can'tjust use NMP?
    That would be nice but I don't want to clog up an anxiety forum with subjects purely focused on healing / improving physical health conditions. This is precisely the point, people come to NMP when they are struggling with anxiety, depression, mental health and it's great for that. I'd like there to be that specific option for people but for their physical health struggles. You arent going to find hundreds of people with ideas and a similar health problem on an anxiety forum as thats not what people are on an anxiety forum for. But you likely would find lots of people with similar health problems on a health forum, therefore they can offer better advice and ideas through their experience.

There's plenty of overlap between anxiety and physical health though.

There are already sections of this forum that cover alternative therapies, but in my experience (as somebody who also saw a HUGE benefit to healthy eating), most people are very resistant to the idea of not drinking loads of booze or giving up eating badly.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    There's plenty of overlap between anxiety and physical health though.
    Of course there is. But is this a forum for anxiety or a forum for physical health. It's a forum for anxiety.

I'm talking about one people can go to for physical health, yes there might be some cross over with anxiety but if somebody looks for a forum to ask a question online when they have some health problem, a pain in their back, problems with their digestion, or extreme fatigue, etc etc, do you think there are going to search for an anxiety forum to ask the question. No.

If you want to do it, then go for it. I don't know how much traffic you'd get from an anxiety website though.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    If you want to do it, then go for it. I don't know how much traffic you'd get from an anxiety website though.

Positive thoughts
    I'm not looking for traffic from an anxiety website. Does anybody actually read the original post haha. I was just hoping for somebody like minded who may be interested in setting it up with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotagetthroughthis View Post
    I'm not looking for traffic from an anxiety website. Does anybody actually read the original post haha. I was just hoping for somebody like minded who may be interested in setting it up with me.
    I believe there are a couple of members that do that type of work. Just curious as to why you why you're asking here as most are too wrapped up with their own mental issues.

Anyway... go for it it if its something you want to do. There are several forum formats available so....

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It is a big job and I hope you have done some research on the costs involved as well.

I think the main issue you will get is that unless you have medically qualified people to help it will be a free for all with people giving wrong medical advice or scaring people to death so I hope you have thought things through.

Good luck with it anyway.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information