Thread: Sore breast, with a lump

Sore breast, with a lump

Hi. I’m posting this as I’m feeling very worried about my Mum. She is complaining of breast pain and has found a lump in said breast. Over the years she’s had lots of lumps and mammograms etc, and it’s always come back fine, but every time this happens it’s sends me into a spiral of worry which I cannot shake off. I keep thinking that this time it’ll be bad news. She has an appointment next week but until then I’ll just have it constantly whirring around in my mind. Does anybody have any advice on how to calm down?! She doesn’t seem as worried as me!

Doctor didn’t refer to breast clinic

I feel silly writing this, but needed some reassurance. My Mum had a sore breast lump. She’s had lots in the past and has had a few mammograms over the years. She has fibrocystic breasts. She visited the GP on Monday who told her to keep an eye on it and if it got worse/any changes they’d refer her for a mammogram. Now I know deep down that if they thought this was sinister they wouldn’t tell her to just wait, would they? They wouldn’t just use a wait and see approach? The Dr she saw is one she has seen in the past and so knows her medical history which reassures me too as they’re aware of what’s normal for her. Thanks in advance for any replies!

Re: Sore breast, with a lump

Sorry I didn't see you had closed the first thread and I merged them so had to re-open it for you.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Sore breast, with a lump

My mom has the same issues with the fibrous breasts. And the answer is no - if they felt something suspicious or out of the ordinary, they would have sent her for a mammogram right away.

Re: Doctor didn’t refer to breast clinic

Quote Originally Posted by JoannaR View Post
    I feel silly writing this, but needed some reassurance. My Mum had a sore breast lump. She’s had lots in the past and has had a few mammograms over the years. She has fibrocystic breasts. She visited the GP on Monday who told her to keep an eye on it and if it got worse/any changes they’d refer her for a mammogram. Now I know deep down that if they thought this was sinister they wouldn’t tell her to just wait, would they? They wouldn’t just use a wait and see approach? The Dr she saw is one she has seen in the past and so knows her medical history which reassures me too as they’re aware of what’s normal for her. Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Doctors don't mess around when it comes to breast lumps. If they have the slightest suspicion that it could possibly be sinister then they will refer. Telling someone to keep an eye on it is a very general and normal thing for a doctor to say.
    It's a good sign that your mum wasn't referred for a mammogram. The doctor obviously isn't worried that there is anything bad going on.
    I hope she feels better soon xx

Thread Information