Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intensely anxious about catching covid after being amoungst xmas shopper crowds

Intensely anxious about catching covid after being amoungst xmas shopper crowds

Today I decided to go into the city to take a stroll around the back streets just to get some exercise and fresh air. Anyway it turned out to be the busiest day I've seen in a long time - as people flocked to the shops for Christmas shopping. I was outside 95% of the time, but I had to pass through HUGE crowds of people very tightly packed together. I was astonished at the lack of masks and how people didn't seem to care about maintaining distance.

Anyway, since I got home several hours ago, it's had time to play on my mind and to be honest I've gotten myself really worked up into an intensely anxious state. I feel like I am hot or have a temperature, but I've checked my temp and it seems normal. I also have a tight throat and I feel tired and achy.

I think I'm just really worried that someone in that crowd will have given me covid and I'll be one of the unfortunate souls who develops a really bad reaction and ends up in hospital on a ventilator!

I'm not sure what the risks are of catching covid in crowded streets outside. I did wash my hands at least 5 times when I got home.

Re: Intensely anxious about catching covid after being amoungst xmas shopper crowds

Hey!

Well look you went out shopping and yes the risk of contracting COVID is there. Also the risk of catching the flu, cold and several other viruses and seasonal related things.

Now I don’t know your risk and age etc. However if you are healthy and below the age of 60 you have very little need to worry. It will likely be at worst on par with a flu.

I have taken vitamin C and D when I have felt “weak” or had displayed symptoms of a cold/flu. Felt fine about 24hrs after.

If you are worried, I would just book a free test at your local test centre.

The COVID mortality rate is still very flow, so don’t be worrying yourself about that extreme either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Intensely anxious about catching covid after being amoungst xmas shopper crowds

Many Thanks for your reply Joe.

On the one hand, I realise I'm probably over worrying and sound a bit silly - but on the other hand I'm sure there are lots of people out there who are just as anxious about covid.

I'm in my early 30's and healthy, I think I just worry when I see news reports which seem to suggest "young people can get seriously ill too".... Sometimes I wonder if the media do this as a way to knock some sense into younger people who are not following the rules - but equally it does worry me.

Since you mention it I've taken some vit C + D also. Thanks again for the advice.

There is zero point taking a covid test as it wouldn't show up this soon anyway, and there is even less chance of feeling symptoms this quickly even if you did catch it. It takes 7-10 days minimum.

Stop worrying about stuff that hasn't happened (yet) and only concern yourself with it if you DO end up showing real symptoms.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    There is zero point taking a covid test as it wouldn't show up this soon anyway, and there is even less chance of feeling symptoms this quickly even if you did catch it. It takes 7-10 days minimum.

Stop worrying about stuff that hasn't happened (yet) and only concern yourself with it if you DO end up showing real symptoms.
    Exactly, AJ.

Covid symptoms don't manifest straight away, they take, at the very least, 2 days, on average, 5 days, and at the very most, approximately 10-14 days.

Also it's generally less likely to be caught outdoors, but I guess venturing into crowded city centres even in non-Covid times can still carry the risk of untoward occurrences of any kind at any time, of which I won't elaborate on in this thread.

It takes 7-10 days minimum.
    This is incorrect, I developed symptoms not quite 48 hours after exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    This is incorrect, I developed symptoms not quite 48 hours after exposure.
    How do you know the exact time of exposure?

Although yes, incubation time guidelines do appear to have been updated since I last checked. 48 hours still seems remarkably fast though, I wonder if it's connected with viral load?

In any case, the OP wouldn't have been feeling symptoms after the several hours he quoted.

How do you know the exact time of exposure?
    My son was here Nov 9th
    He tested positive Nov 10th
    I started coughing Nov 11th

I know the EXACT time, it was 530 pm on November 9th.

My son had to get tested for work, he is a Firemedic. He was presymptomatic on Nov 9th. Symptomatic Nov 10th at 10pm.
    Last edited by NancyW; 08-12-20 at 21:28.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    My son was here Nov 9th
    He tested positive Nov 10th
    I started coughing Nov 11th

I know the EXACT time, it was 530 pm on November 9th.

My son had to get tested for work, he is a Firemedic. He was presymptomatic on Nov 9th. Symptomatic Nov 10th at 10pm.
    Interesting. They need to update the more visible guidelines then as the general consensus here (UK) is that incubation times are much longer.

I hope you all recover quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information