Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline and sex

Sertraline and sex

Hi everyone I’m new here! Please be gentle!
    Started sertraline 50mg 4 weeks and it’s been amazing. I can actually sleep which means a lot when you are working and have 6 kids! Also a huge reduction in that horrible chest pain/ tightness caused by anxiety and a much clearer head.

The one problem is it’s affecting sex. Doesn’t really bother me as I don’t feel the effects are that bad and I still enjoy it but it’s causing huge issues for my hubby who has his own issues and has complex PTSD.

Shall I stick it out and hope the sexual side effects improve? Try another drug?

I’ve had talking therapists btw, CBT twice, counselling twice, last session caused me nightmares and horrific insomnia so had to stop.

Please help!!

Re: Sertraline and sex

Quote Originally Posted by Trixibelle View Post
    Hi everyone I’m new here! Please be gentle!
    Started sertraline 50mg 4 weeks and it’s been amazing. I can actually sleep which means a lot when you are working and have 6 kids! Also a huge reduction in that horrible chest pain/ tightness caused by anxiety and a much clearer head.

The one problem is it’s affecting sex. Doesn’t really bother me as I don’t feel the effects are that bad and I still enjoy it but it’s causing huge issues for my hubby who has his own issues and has complex PTSD.

Shall I stick it out and hope the sexual side effects improve? Try another drug?

I’ve had talking therapists btw, CBT twice, counselling twice, last session caused me nightmares and horrific insomnia so had to stop.

Please help!!
    Apologies if I've got this wrong, but I interpret this as you're having problems reaching orgasm? This is very common with Sertraline and antidepressants in general. It's hard to know how to answer really given that you've not been very clear on how it's affecting your husband?

Yes I can still orgasm but not always and takes longer.

Affects him as makes him feel inadequate, like a failure, makes his already low self esteem lower, he interprets it to mean I’m not attracted to him and gets all paranoid, even though the rational part of him knows it’s the meds.

I was aware it’s quite common side effect, it’s just so annoying as otherwise it works so well for me.

Was wondering if anyone had experienced this and it improved with time?

Yes I can still orgasm but not always and takes longer.

Affects him as makes him feel inadequate, like a failure, makes his already low self esteem lower, he interprets it to mean I’m not attracted to him and gets all paranoid, even though the rational part of him knows it’s the meds.
    Hard one this (scuse the pun) because normally I'd be inclined to say that your mental health trumps his self-esteem issues, but you say he has PTSD? So, it's not that simple, and it's a shame because they are helping you.

I have taken Sertraline (briefly) when I had my breakdown but I couldn't tolerate the side effects so I was taken off them pronto but hopefully somebody can help you with this issue.. X

Lol yes a hard one. And the issue is when his PTSD and mental health deteriorates it affects me as well.

If it wasn’t for his issues I would just say tough get over it, my mental health my choice but it’s not that simple 😞

I was aware it’s quite common side effect, it’s just so annoying as otherwise it works so well for me.

Was wondering if anyone had experienced this and it improved with time?
    SSRI sexual dysfunction is unfortunately, fairly common with about a third experiencing it. It may diminish over time, but there are no guarantees. Some of the options I suggest in this post may help:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showpos...31&postcount=7

Lol yes a hard one. And the issue is when his PTSD and mental health deteriorates it affects me as well.
    Yes, this is what I was thinking - and this would be a direct hit to your mental health - and you are struggling as it is...

If it wasn’t for his issues I would just say tough get over it, my mental health my choice but it’s not that simple 
    I know lovely. You have my sympathy. X

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    SSRI sexual dysfunction is unfortunately, fairly common with about a third experiencing it. It may diminish over time, but there are no guarantees. Some of the options I suggest in this post may help:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showpos...31&postcount=7
    Thanks for this. I’ll look at your post xx

Thank you for this. I’ve looked at the post and there are a lot of suggestions there. I’ll have a think about some of them and if not will have to stop sert and maybe think about CBD instead.

He went out somewhere at about 23:00 and then spent all night in the sofa so can see he is spiralling. 😞

Really appreciate your reply x

Thank you xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information