Thread: First week of sertraline

First week of sertraline

Quick question please, does anyone find sertraline gives them a really acidic stomach? I know nausea is a side effect but I feel as if I’ve got too much acid, really quite burny (I already take omeprazole and had to take an extra one). Haven’t eaten or drank anything that would cause this so just wondering?

Re: First week of sertraline

Quote Originally Posted by Coni2 View Post
    Quick question please, does anyone find sertraline gives them a really acidic stomach? I know nausea is a side effect but I feel as if I’ve got too much acid, really quite burny (I already take omeprazole and had to take an extra one). Haven’t eaten or drank anything that would cause this so just wondering?
    It is likely the sertraline. The gut is by far the most serotonergic organ of the body making about 50 times more serotonin than the brain. The gut is controlled by its own mini brain, the enteric nervous system which is replete with serotonin receptors so can be more affected by serotonergic ADs for a while which can cause side-effects such as heartburn, diarrhoea or constipation, nausea, lack of interest in food and subsequent weight loss, etc. In most cases this settles down after a few weeks.

Gut microbes also have binding sites targetted by ADs and may also be affected by them. In addition to their direct impact on the ENS, there is also evidence that ADs can alter the mix of gut flora. Together these may be responsible for the improvement in IBS symptoms often seen with SSRIs and other serotonergic ADs.

Thank you, I thought it might be tbh. I was going to increase to 50 mg tomorrow as I’ve been on 25 for a week but am a bit scared to now. I don’t want an ulcer. I wonder if I should contact my gp and ask if I can double up the omeprazole? Side effects are not fun for my newly developed health anxiety. I hate feeling like this, fixating on every bodily we say and ailment. It’s exhausting ��

Quote Originally Posted by Coni2 View Post
    I was going to increase to 50 mg tomorrow as I’ve been on 25 for a week but am a bit scared to now. I don’t want an ulcer. I wonder if I should contact my gp and ask if I can double up the omeprazole?
    You're unlikely to develop and ulcer in just a few of weeks which is typically how long these side-effects last, however, upping the dose may not be a bad idea if only for your peace of mind.

The rule of thumb on dose increases is to not raise it any sooner than 5 times the half-life of the med, for sertraline that is 5 x 24 hours. Upping it sooner may significantly worsen any side-effects, however, delaying it usually doesn't lessen them no matter how long the delay.

Side effects are not fun for my newly developed health anxiety. I hate feeling like this, fixating on every bodily we say and ailment. It’s exhausting ��
    Unfortunately, this is the biggest problem with ADs, at the beginning they often exacerbate the very issues they are meant to solve. The fates can be pitiless.

Good read. I will be prescribed zoloft and topamax (for the hunger) I already get 24/7 heartburn without zoloft. Glad to hear that wont last as a side effect.

Quote Originally Posted by SEANML View Post
    I will be prescribed zoloft and topamax (for the hunger) I already get 24/7 heartburn without zoloft.
    Does your doctor know about the heartburn? If not you should tell him/her asap.

I am on a waiting list for a endoscope and 24hour ph test. I wont take proton pump inhibitors, they are too dangerous long term. They suggested them to me. (my stomach wrap came apart, I use to have a nissen fundoplication but it got damaged from my massive eating issues)

But yes they know about the heartburn and I am trying to get the surgery for it again (could take up to a year for all this to get fixed) Should I be concerned?>

Should I be concerned?>
    No, just wanted to be sure whoever was prescribing the sertraline was up to speed.

The dr prescribed it doesn't know about my heartburn. He was a one time deal with no follow ups. So I'm kinda screwed. Dont have a dr who can prescribe something new.

My sleep dr suggested anafril or amitriptyline but he isn't fully familiar with meds for OCD. He is open to suggestions

The dr prescribed it doesn't know about my heartburn. He was a one time deal with no follow ups. So I'm kinda screwed. Dont have a dr who can prescribe something new.
    You should tell the doctors you see about all your medical conditions. They should also ask!! Not that it would probably have changed what was prescribed this time.

My sleep dr suggested anafril or amitriptyline but he isn't fully familiar with meds for OCD. He is open to suggestions
    I gave you my suggestions in a previous thread. My opinion hasn't changed and I'm not going to rehash that. The best AD for you atm is the one you are willing to take and stick with for at least 12 weeks.

Thread Information