Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Media seem to have gone quiet over crime rates just lately

Media seem to have gone quiet over crime rates just lately

I've noticed over the course of this year the media haven't been making such a big deal over crime levels in the UK, unlike previously there was endless coverage over violent crime in particular, especially in the major cities.

I know the Covid pandemic has obviously had a significant impact on crime levels, especially during the first lockdown back in the spring, but surely they must have been creeping steadily upwards once again since the summer, but there barely seems to have been a dickie bird about it on the BBC website, nor any others AFAIK.

I do think the media in general have a cyclical tendency to flip-flop every 3-4 years or so between the big issues such as crime, terrorism, the economy, etc and recycle the same old moral panics pertaining to all of those issues.

I recall, for example, between 2008 and 2012 the media seemed to be less focused on terror threats and (obviously) more focused on the state of the economy, then from 2013, following the Lee Rigby incident in Woolwich in the summer of that year and the birth of ISIS, coupled with the likes of the EDL and Britain First being at the height of their activities, and numerous attacks on mosques throughout the UK, terror threats instantly became a recurring moral panic for the first time since around 2007-08, coming to a head in 2017 with a series of attacks in London and Manchester, then suddenly receiving less media attention from 2018 onwards.

Recurring panics about crime, especially violence and teenage yob culture have kind of overlapped over the same time period since 2008, lessening between 2011 and 2015, then recurring again between about 2016 and the start of this year (2020), and inevitably panics about the economy are now recurring once again.

Re: Media seem to have gone quiet over crime rates just lately

I've noticed too and I've been wondering why I haven't been seeing much about war. I haven't seed Assad's name in a long time. Or anything about ISIS. But there's lots of news about celebrities right now. All seems a bit out wack.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    I've noticed too and I've been wondering why I haven't been seeing much about war. I haven't seed Assad's name in a long time. Or anything about ISIS. But there's lots of news about celebrities right now. All seems a bit out wack.
    Obviously Covid has been the foremost issue in the news since around the end of February, and many of the other 'big issues' have seemingly been cast aside, even though they haven't actually disappeared off the face of the earth.

The news in general tends to be cyclical, hence the old expression 'what goes around comes around'!

Usually the BBC website announces the latest general crime stats around January, but seemingly not a dickie bird so far this year.

Last January they were making a song and dancing over recorded knife crimes reaching an all-time high during 2019.

Obviously this pandemic and its consequential lockdown restrictions over the past year has had a knock-on effect on a lot of the longer term stalwarts, such as domestic burglary and car crime (obviously due to people being at home more than ever before since the end of last March), knife/gun crime, vandalism, etc, but surely Covid-related offences must have been on the increase during the same period, though they might not necessarily be added to the latest stats as many of said offences are probably only granted 'temporary' status as offences, and will no longer be regarded as offences once this pandemic peters out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Usually the BBC website announces the latest general crime stats around January, but seemingly not a dickie bird so far this year.
    They're probably shockingly high and they don't want more egg on their faces.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

So are you implying that the latest crime stats are probably being played down/covered up?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    So are you implying that the latest crime stats are probably being played down/covered up?
    No lol. T'was a joke.

☪️️

They've probably decided we all know its bad as mayor Khan is still in office so why bother

I've noticed the BBC site is still keeping quiet about the latest national crime stats, unlike during previous decades (including the 2010s) they used to publish said stats periodically throughout the year, and they seemed to be a far bigger deal than now.

The media in general often used to put the fear of God into us over the latest crime trends, especially back in the 90s and much of the 2000s.

And I don't necessarily think it's got anything to do with fewer plods either.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 30-03-22 at 19:14.

The seem heavily focused on Ukraine from what I've seen. Very little word on the COVID issues either. I have seen very little of crime, although they have put Crimewatch on in the daytime. I've seen it a few times.

☪️️

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information