Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Media seem to have gone quiet over crime rates just lately

Re: Media seem to have gone quiet over crime rates just lately

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I guess you're right Pulisa.

The main crime fears these days tend to be centred around knife crimes and County Liners in particular, which aren't wholly 'new' problems per se, but I vividly remember back in the 90s the intense moral panics over twocking/joyriding, ravers, Ecstasy and other drug abuse, ramraiding, armed robberies, burglaries, vandalism, etc, and in the 2000s it was gun crime, ASB, hoodie culture, night time drunken hooliganism in town centres, thefts of phones and satnavs, most of which the media don't appear to put the fear of God into us over to the extent that they used to.
    Hmm

Twoc- have had a lift home home from town while pissed, in a car where the owner didn't know it was being used if that counts? Also quite often got a lift home from the police... mate was a copper, if he saw me in town in the early hours used to give me a lift home!

Ravers - been to a few in fields (Castle Morton was a monster), I was more new age/crusty type than raver though.

Ecstasy - yep, weed, speed, acid, coke, mainly weed though bit of E and speed occasionally on a weekend.

Armed robbery, burglary - Nope, I think though we all knew a bloke(s) who could get dodgy goods, I remember getting 20 cans of Lynx deodorant for 10 quid 'cushty' lol

Vandalism - think we all did a bit of that as teenagers, only ever minor really.

Gun crime has been about since guns were invented. I knew a dealer in the 90's with a handgun, fűck knows why he needed it in the cotswolds!

Everybody has a hoodie don't they?

Drunken behaviour in the town centre - standard Friday and Saturday evening in you late teens to twenties.

Looks like I was the the problem in the 90's! I do it all again, just I'm too bloody old now!

Flashback

Who remembers the original alcopop Thunderbird? The forerunner to Mad Dog and Hooch!

Media seem to have gone quiet over crime rates just lately

So?

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Media seem to have gone quiet over crime rates just lately

So?

FMP
    I'm referring to issues more specific to my own country (the UK) here.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum123 View Post
    Flashback

Who remembers the original alcopop Thunderbird? The forerunner to Mad Dog and Hooch!
    I don't remember Thunderbird.

I certainly remember the latter (Hooch) which was actually brought back a few years ago, obviously to appease the 90s nostalgics.

Horrible tasting stuff IMO.

BTW, nice try for umlauting the letter U in your F-bomb upthread in order to slip through the moderators' net!😡

What's the big deal with that word if it's not being used against someone in anger? These days it's mostly used for emphasis and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    What's the big deal with that word if it's not being used against someone in anger? These days it's mostly used for emphasis and there's nothing wrong with that.
    I personally agree with this.. ^^^^

I used it (for emotional effect) once and a woman went tonto on me. She said it's triggering. I said that most things are a trigger to somebody and that her windmill avatar was triggering the eff out of me.

Many a line in a film or a song just wouldn't be as emotionally effective without the f word.

You've broken my effing (imagine the actual term) heart. That's like, WOLLOP. AVE IT. I'm dying here.

You've broken my heart. Meh, right?

The F word (in my opinion) has it's place when used creatively, emotionally, and sparingly..

Unless it's Peaky Blinders...

I collect clothing with rude words on, and then I try to wear it to work without being caught. I have some very pretty colourful argyle socks that contain the periodic table of swearing.

Yes it is big, and yes it is clever. Isn't it wonderful that we have words that don't have a harmful meaning that we can use to add force to what we say without them being a slur?

The point I'm making is that I thought that the use of F (and C) bombs uncensored on here is strictly against the forum rules but is that no longer important?

If swearing is more acceptable nowadays then I might just as well tell my parents, day centre staff, etc, to eff off then, especially as I hate my mom right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    The point I'm making is that I thought that the use of F (and C) bombs uncensored on here is strictly against the forum rules but is that no longer important?

If swearing is more acceptable nowadays then I might just as well tell my parents, day centre staff, etc, to eff off then, especially as I hate my mom right now!
    There's a difference, Lenco. Telling somebody to get lost isn't the same as saything that you've had a [redacted] rotten day or a [censored] excellent meal. The first instance is using the word as a weapon against someone, the second is using it for emphasis.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information