Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleep

Sleep

It's probably not a stretch to say most, if not all, of us have a somewhat problematic relationship with sleep and as an effect not waking up feeling restored. I haven't woken up energized in at least eight years. I first thought it was because of my (then undiagnosed) sleep apnea. But this is not the case said my neurologist after doing a sleep test in the hospital when I was being treated for it. I seem to be getting adequate deep sleep and should therefor be restored in the morning.

Other medical conditions: Nothing. Did a very comprehensive blood test two weeks ago, between 30 to 40 things tested. Everything except potassium, which was a bit low, came out fine. No deficiencies in vitamins D or B12, testosterone is on the high end, etc.

Next stop, diet: I eat a very healthy, mostly fresh, plant based diet since this year June. Can't say I noticed much of any difference when it comes to sleep/energy. I stopped smoking again two months ago, caffeine long time before and also no alcohol.

Leaves us with: stress. This past night I went to bed at 23:30, but could only sleep two hours later. This happens frequently enough nowadays. I go to bed feeling reasonably well, no heart palpitations or conscious worrying. Then after a few minutes I start noticing my heartbeat, I feel it in my chest, but also in my ear. After a while the heartbeat becomes more present; I can really feel it beating and it radiates throughout my body, it's much louder in my ear. The beat is slow, unless I get panicky. It's just very annoying and it keeps me up.

I feel physically exhausted, but my mind always seems to be on alert and those two don't match. My girlfriend dozes off in the evening when she's tired, but I can't.

It's a puzzle though, there are so many things that contribute. I started on pregabalin last Saturday, which also has tiredness as an effect.

Anybody with similar experiences? Tips & tricks? What worked and what didn't?

Re: Sleep

Best tip I've ever had.

When you try and sleep, don't try to sleep, just lay there, and PRETEND you are asleep. As if someone has walked in the room and you're trying to trick them. Everything down to the light snoring and everything. Put all your focus into making it believable.

I did it for two weeks straight, and now don't have to very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post

Leaves us with: stress. This past night I went to bed at 23:30, but could only sleep two hours later.
    What were you doing in the hours leading up to going to bed? If it was TV, what kind of things were you watching, as in, drama, suspense etc

Were you using any kind of electronics which emit blue light? (phones, Kindles, laptops etc)

Quote Originally Posted by PHR View Post
    Best tip I've ever had.

When you try and sleep, don't try to sleep, just lay there, and PRETEND you are asleep. As if someone has walked in the room and you're trying to trick them. Everything down to the light snoring and everything. Put all your focus into making it believable.

I did it for two weeks straight, and now don't have to very often.
    Cheers! Never heard of this one. I tried it yesterday, but to no avail. Will continue trying it

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    What were you doing in the hours leading up to going to bed? If it was TV, what kind of things were you watching, as in, drama, suspense etc

Were you using any kind of electronics which emit blue light? (phones, Kindles, laptops etc)
    Thank you for replying. I try to be very vigilant of those things. It’s probably the number one thing said everywhere when it comes to sleep hygiene.

The two hours before sleep no screen light rule is difficult. I don’t own a TV, but do have a laptop/phone/iPad. I’m either working for uni, reading on the internet, watching youtube, and sometimes a movie/series. I try to stop an hour before sleeping and use ‘night mode’ in the evening.

I recently tried to create a different evening routine. I wanted to stop any work and screen at 20:00, take a walk outside, take a shower, relax and read, and then sleep. But I end up often forgetting things and needing quickly do it in the evening (essay, report, drawing, painting, etc). I have ADD, so in general a bit scattered.

I study art by the way.

Cheers! Never heard of this one. I tried it yesterday, but to no avail. Will continue trying it
    I woke up having a panic attack at 5am, and it still worked to put me back to sleep.

Magnesium supplements work well.

Quote Originally Posted by PHR View Post
    I woke up having a panic attack at 5am, and it still worked to put me back to sleep.
    Hopefully I am like that in a few weeks )

Quote Originally Posted by hlvd View Post
    Magnesium supplements work well.
    I drink a cup of water mixed with magnesium citrate powder, almost every day. Does another form work better perhaps?

I drink a cup of water mixed with magnesium citrate powder, almost every day. Does another form work better perhaps?
    Triple Magnesium Complex,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H5MLJ...p_mob_ap_share

That’s what I use, sleep really well.

I track my sleep with an Apple Watch using AutoSleep.
    I know you’ve ruled out alcohol but for myself I only have to have one bottle of lager and that’s enough to ruin my deep sleep.
    It happens every time, only 330ml of lager’s enough to really ruin a night’s sleep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information