Thread: Vertigo for a week

Vertigo for a week

Hello,

On Thanksgiving day almost 3 weeks ago I woke with severe ear pain. It went on for a week before I went to the doctor. The doctor looked in my ears and said they were both infected and one was infected so badly that my ear drum was “bulging”. They gave me an antibiotic and a steroid. Ears still bothersome after I took all of the medicine.

Last Saturday I woke up super dizzy and it felt like I couldn’t walk. The room was spinning. Couldn’t drive. I realized I’m experiencing vertigo for the first time. I’ve never experienced this with other ear infections. I’m also feeling brain fog. The logical side of me tells myself it’s related to the infection but my biggest fear since I was a kid is brain tumors. I’m trying to stay calm but getting I’m scared.

Have you experienced vertigo??

Re: Vertigo for a week

I am in the middle of a BPPV episode. It’s a super common form of vertigo, but yeah it can be really debilitating. During the worst of the episodes, I can’t sit up or stand as everything around me is revolving. Turning my head certain ways makes it worse. I did go to the doc on Thursday and got some meds that do help, just hoping this episode passes soon. It’s miserable!

vertigo after an ear infection is so common. If you’ve already been to the doc for your ear infection it’s worth giving them a call and telling them what’s going on. They may be able to give you something to help until it passes.

Thanks! I am going to an ENT tomorrow. I’m nervous but will be happy to get answers. Have you ever had a spell that’s off and on for a couple of weeks?

Oh for sure. Sometimes my episodes are super short and other times they just come and go. It’s really frustrating and can be pretty debilitating! The meds they give me do help my episodes I just never know when one will hit - that’s the annoying part!

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    Oh for sure. Sometimes my episodes are super short and other times they just come and go. It’s really frustrating and can be pretty debilitating! The meds they give me do help my episodes I just never know when one will hit - that’s the annoying part!
    What meds are available to help with BPPV? I've not been diagnosed, but I'm rather convinced (will consult with my doc when I get the chance) I suffer from BPPV once in a while. Especially today. I had been awake for a bit, then I got up and walked around and felt very dizzy / "spinning", which subsided less than a minute later. The dizziness /spinning sensations would repeat when standing, shifting body position, head position, etc, becoming a little less intense each time.

I'm currently in bed. Soon as I laid down, I experienced an intense dizzy sensation for several seconds. Now I'm laying here, anxious because my brain won't shut up about it. Gah. Just wondering what meds they treat it with.

They gave me Meclizine. It’s basically an antihistamine. You can also look up the Epley maneuver on YouTube. It’s a series of positioning exercises that can help move the crystals in your ear back where they’re supposed to go. I will say I’ve not been successful doing those exercises in the middle of an episode - I get so spinny and nauseous I can’t even sit up so no chance I can flop my head about lol.

Thread Information