Hi all,

I've suffered from social anxiety pretty much all my life. I have always found it difficult to make friends and I generally feel nervous going anywhere where I have to verbally interact with others unless I know them very well. I find that I get a little better when I force myself to do things and I know my last job pushed me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to feel less socially anxious at work, but I suffered in the process from terrible dread and anxiety. Of course, now, I am looking for a new job and anything new brings a lot of anxiety for me.

Something I have noticed is that I dislike phone calls and video interviews more than in person. At least in person I can read body language or see a smile and that puts me at ease. A phone call feels a lot more 'on the spot' as if I don't say anything right away there is just silence. I've actually been offered a work from home job for the time being and will begin training on the phones shortly. I am so scared. You may be wondering why I took the job if I'm so scared but I figured I would have to face my fear because I doubt there is any job out there that would fit around my anxiety, unless I could be a writer but that's not something I can rely on right now. I don't think anyone can be picky with jobs right now. In all likelihood, once I am used it, although I don't think I'll ever 'like it' it may not be too bad. But how can I keep calm so I don't end up fumbling over words or speaking too quiet or in an insecure way? I know they record all the calls and I know I can't mess up too bad, which adds to the pressure.

I generally dread phone calls any day by anyone. I would much rather receive a message or email than a phone call. I also tend to wait until a call is finished ringing, they leave a message and then I go somewhere where no one else can hear me - because that's the other thing - I hate being heard on the phone too. I have to prepare mentally for it and often come up with a script in my head. I just wish I could pick up the phone or call people with ease!

I know a couple people who actually dread calls too. Just wondering how common it was and if there was any methods to make it easier?