Thread: tiny lump, got it checked but still anxious about it

tiny lump, got it checked but still anxious about it

Hi guys!

I'm 21, and I have a small painless lump on the upper part of my breast - I think it's moveable but it's pretty small so sometimes it's hard to tell. I made the mistake of googling my symptoms and spiraled a lot - so I went to get it checked out because it was causing a lot of anxiety! Within a few minutes my GP said there was nothing abnormal about it and that I had nothing to worry about. She just examined it and felt it and after that I was free to go. It helped for a while but I still get really anxious about it. She said it might not go away, but now I'm hyper aware of the area and any changes to it. I know realistically it's fine and it hasn't grown and nothing else about my breast has changed - but the appointment was so quick it threw me off. I honestly thought there would be more to it. I've been in a really bad period of health anxiety for the past few months and I'm trying my best to be rational about it but sometimes it's hard. Any tips on getting over this?

Re: tiny lump, got it checked but still anxious about it

You just have to trust your doctor on this. I know it can be difficult but if you start doubting the doctor then you really are letting your anxiety win.
    She examined you and said it was fine. There's no more to it. Maybe you were expecting her to examine it for longer but I've had doctors check my breasts too and it can be over and done with very quickly. They know what they're doing. They know what's a normal lump and what isn't. And if they have even the slightest suspicion that something might not be right, they will refer you. End of. They don't take chances with these things.
    Just keep telling yourself that if the doctor isn't worried then neither should you be.
    I hope you start to feel better about it soon

Re: tiny lump, got it checked but still anxious about it

Thank you so much for responding! This really helped 😌 I'm going to try my best to just let it go and keep my anxiety in check for now and look for some ways to help it. Its usually worse when I'm living alone but I'll be around family for the next month so I'm sure that'll help! Thanks again x

Thread Information