Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick question

Re: Quick question

So for insomnia would you suggest amitriptyline?Do low doses sedate? Doxepin has a risk of 3 cancers (that is more scary then rheumatoid). Sorry for bugging you so much, we are getting close to a end solution.

Quote Originally Posted by SEANML View Post
    So for insomnia would you suggest amitriptyline?Do low doses sedate?
    No, low doses don't sedate. You take amitriptyline for OCD/anxiety. Any sedation is a bonus.

Doxepin has a risk of 3 cancers (that is more scary then rheumatoid).
    No, it does not. All that is telling you is that someone in the trial was found to have lung cancer at stage one. Trials usually run for less than 6 weeks. Lung cancers generally take years to grow big enough to be detected by x-rays. Do you think that if a med caused lung cancer in 6 weeks it would be approved, let alone still be being prescribed 50 years later? Same goes for malignant melanoma - skin cancer. Doxepin is sold in cream form to treat skin conditions! We know what causes both these cancers, and doxepin isn't it. Cysts are not cancers. You're just again scaring yourself over nothing because you are unable to evaluate what you're reading. Meanwhile the meds that you are on are probably causing you actual harm.

Check out this study: Relationship between anti-depressant use and lung cancer survival:
    Previous preclinical work demonstrated that tricyclic anti-depressants have antitumor efficacy in lung cancer.
    and this one showing that adding serotonergic ADs, including doxepin (also clomipramine) to anti cancer drugs increases their effectiveness: Serotonergic system antagonists target breast tumor initiating cells and synergize with chemotherapy to shrink human breast tumor xenografts

Plus, the side-effects are based on the doses prescribed to treat anxiety and depression, 75-150mg. The effective dose for insomnia can be as little as 3mg, though 10-25mg is more usual.

Sorry for bugging you so much, we are getting close to a end solution.
    I doubt it. Again, do something about the mirtazapine and then come back if you need info on meds for anxiety. You're unlikely to get anywhere without fixing the hunger issue first.

So I can understand better(amitriptyline is not the med for sleep, it's for ocd anxiety.)I would need a high dose to sleep? The med for sleep is doxepin ? I just want to get things straight, I talk to the dr the 6th. So lung cancer and the other cancers are impossible to have been caused by the drug? They just have to say everything that happened during the trials?

That cancer bit scares the crap out of me, amitriptyline never shows any random cancers.Also wont it cause hunger compared to amitriptyline.I dont want to quit one drug to gain the same side effects. Only side effects I get that I notice is my hunger is insane,

Please bare with me we are slowly getting somewhere,I was close to taking amitrip but now you say it wont sedate. Doxepin the cancers make me super nervous, what if they did somehow come from it?

What dose for sleep would be for amitriptyline? Im just having a hard time getting over the cancers for doxepin, why would they mention them if it wasnt of concern?

I was close to accepting amitri or just doing ziprasadone with olanzapine (cause I don't get any side effects with antiphycotics, couldnt that be a solution?)

A part of me wants doxepin to work for me to pick (but the cancers being mentioned) scare the crap out of me, Amitrip doesnt have that. I am trying to read the studies to better understand everything. Just having a hard time getting over the cancers. Not many drugs mention cancer in side effects.

All I know is the world sells cancer causing things for money (like smokes/alcohol ) they just tell you it causes it. Whats the meaning "frequency not reported"?

Also is olanzapine and doxepin safe to be taken together?
    Last edited by SEANML; 01-01-21 at 17:08.

So I can understand better(amitriptyline is not the med for sleep, it's for ocd anxiety.)I would need a high dose to sleep? The med for sleep is doxepin ?
    Yes, amitriptyline for OCD/anxiety, and doxepin for insomnia.

So lung cancer and the other cancers are impossible to have been caused by the drug? They just have to say everything that happened during the trials?
    Correct

That cancer bit scares the crap out of me, amitriptyline never shows any random cancers.Also wont it cause hunger compared to amitriptyline.I dont want to quit one drug to gain the same side effects. Only side effects I get that I notice is my hunger is insane,
    Doxepin may still cause some carbohydrate cravings, but not as much as mirtazapine which is notorious for the cravings it creates. All sedating meds cause some cravings, the trick is to pick the milder ones.

Please bare with me we are slowly getting somewhere,I was close to taking amitrip but now you say it wont sedate.
    It will, but not as much as doxepin, or mirtazapine.

Doxepin the cancers make me super nervous, what if they did somehow come from it?
    What if a piece of space junk hit you on the head tomorrow? Doxepin has been in use since 1969. If it was causing cancers do you think it would still be sold? It isn't an irreplaceable drug. These days it is mostly sold as an antihistamine and there are many other antihistamines.

What dose for sleep would be for amitriptyline?
    You won't be taking it for sleep. The dose for anxiety is 75-150mg (300mg for inpatients).

Im just having a hard time getting over the cancers for doxepin, why would they mention them if it wasnt of concern?
    By law they have to list everything that came up during the trials, irrespective of whether they think the drug caused them.

I was close to accepting amitri or just doing ziprasadone with olanzapine (cause I don't get any side effects with antiphycotics, couldnt that be a solution?)
    Taking two antipsychotics is unwise especially as you are already taking the maximum olanzapine dose.

A part of me wants doxepin to work for me to pick (but the cancers being mentioned) scare the crap out of me, Amitrip doesnt have that. I am trying to read the studies to better understand everything. Just having a hard time getting over the cancers. Not many drugs mention cancer in side effects.
    You're just going around in circles, getting nowhere.

All I know is the world sells cancer causing things for money (like smokes/alcohol ) they just tell you it causes it.
    Doxepin is long out of patent and is cheap. Nobody is making fortunes selling it.

Whats the meaning "frequency not reported"?
    They don't know how often it was reported. My guess it was only once.

Also is olanzapine and doxepin safe to be taken together?
    Yes. The only effect from taking them together is they each increase the sedation of the other. But that is true of mirtazapine and olanzapine too.

I got a few days to get over the cancer bit. I will try my best. Just made me nervous. I kno lung cancer is a sneaky 1 that's why it makes me nervous. They also mentioned 2 other cancers. Just makes me wonder if somehow it was carcinogenic in a way.

I know my current drug cocktail can be hard on my body just wish there was no cancer . It doesn't cause alot of scary stuff. How sure are you? I trust you. You seem better informed then me. I just wonder if it causes cancer so legally they mention it and can still sell it. Like the suicide warnings they have.

Amitriptyline looked good but shoot never took doses that high. I did 10mg for 2 weeks. But my insomnia is worse now most likely. My moms told me to take whatever I feel is best, a part of me thinks amitrip just cause it doesnt mention cancers. I just dont like my odds for cancer being mentioned so many times.On the plus amitrip will also help with ocd/anxiety while putting me to bed (less chemicals needed the better right?)

I realize my current drug cocktail is probably the cause of my heart pains/heartburn and so on (i know now that what I am doing will break my body down and it needs to be changed)
    Last edited by SEANML; 02-01-21 at 16:51.

know my current drug cocktail can be hard on my body just wish there was no cancer . It doesn't cause alot of scary stuff. How sure are you?
    I'm a lung cancer survivor so I take anything which may cause it very seriously.

Amitriptyline looked good but shoot never took doses that high. I did 10mg for 2 weeks.
    10mg is nowhere near enough to trigger an antidepressant response. You will need at least 75mg, perhaps more. The recommended maximum dose is 150mg (300mg in a hospital inpatient setting).

But my insomnia is worse now most likely. My moms told me to take whatever I feel is best, a part of me thinks amitrip just cause it doesnt mention cancers. I just dont like my odds for cancer being mentioned so many times.On the plus amitrip will also help with ocd/anxiety while putting me to bed (less chemicals needed the better right?)
    You'll be taking amitriptyline for your anxiety/OCD. Any sedation from it will be a bonus, not the reason for taking it.

Treating insomnia is a different question. Doxepin, or promazine should be better than mirtazapine as they are less likely to cause the severe carbohydrate cravings you're experiencing.

I realize my current drug cocktail is probably the cause of my heart pains/heartburn and so on (i know now that what I am doing will break my body down and it needs to be changed)
    Yes. As I've said before doing nothing is likely to be the very worst of your options.

I got a few days to try and except doxepin, I dont think promazine is in canada. I understand what your saying but it's just the fact that they suggested those cancers in side effects. Concerns me.

Amitriptyline just may cause autoimmune, less serious compared to may cause cancer. And at the right dose I will get sleep and help with OCD combo with 1 pill. Not sure about craving though.

Promazine I think is by a different version of chemistry in Canada. Forgot the name.

I just cant overcome the cancer what ifs

I just cant overcome the cancer what ifs
    It's a pity you can't resist googling what you don't have the knowledge to correctly evaluate, but to quote the last words of the immortal Australian sage on life and the human condition, Ned Kelly, "such is life".

Couldn't amitriptyline be a 2 in one? Sleep and OCD. With doxepin I'd need another pill to battle my issues.

But yes I wish I could overcome cancer, doxepin seems like a powerful sleeper. Have you used it? Just those cancers and what if is too strong. I'd feel I took something that I'd regret years later if I got lung cancer plus melanoma runs in the family rather not risk it with a med for just sleep.

And Amitriptyline you are pretty sure wont give ana/rheumatoid. It will put me to sleep plus treat my mental problems. Doxepin may cause cancer and just puts me to sleep, no other benifits if im correct.

Nervous about amitriptyline but less than how I'm terrified of doxepin, auto immune is less scary then cancer. All I think is they posted the cancers for a valid reason, maybe they thought it caused it possibly.
    Last edited by SEANML; 03-01-21 at 11:13.

Couldn't amitriptyline be a 2 in one? Sleep and OCD. With doxepin I'd need another pill to battle my issues.
    Amitriptyline will likely be sedating, but not to the same degree as mirtazapine. I think you will need something else if you want to replace mirtazapine.

But yes I wish I could overcome cancer, doxepin seems like a powerful sleeper. Have you used it? Just those cancers and what if is too strong. I'd feel I took something that I'd regret years later if I got lung cancer plus melanoma runs in the family rather not risk it with a med for just sleep.

And Amitriptyline you are pretty sure wont give ana/rheumatoid. It will put me to sleep plus treat my mental problems. Doxepin may cause cancer and just puts me to sleep, no other benifits if im correct.

Nervous about amitriptyline but less than how I'm terrified of doxepin, auto immune is less scary then cancer. All I think is they posted the cancers for a valid reason, maybe they thought it caused it possibly.
    Pick the med you think will cause you the least stress and then take it. Just going around in circles as you've been doing for weeks now will get you nowhere.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information